1965 Mustang six cylinder - Installing an electric hydraulic power steering pump

Ger47

Jul 19, 2020
Fellow members, hope that I can receive some wise advise on this.

I am upgrading my steering with a rack and pinion upgrade from RAS Australia./ I would like to drive the rack and pinion with an electric hydraulic power steering pump. I would purchase their electric kit but it is pricey and in looking at some conversion have seen that installing an used electric hydraulic power steering pump would do the job.

Has anyone done such a retrofit? Has it worked? What should I be looking out for I would not like to damage the new rack and pinion.

Your comments are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

An electric hydraulic pump seems like the worst of both worlds. I would either go mechanical hydraulic or an under-dash electric unit. Some people will adapt a Toyota EPS unit under the dash...can be done for under a couple hundred dollars from what I read....then of course companies like Flaming River offer a whole kit for significantly more money.

Why would you be worried about damaging your new rack an pinion? Rack an Pinion setups(power rack and pinion) aren't hurt even if they are used without hydraulic assist...you dont have to run fluid through the rack if you don't want to as long as you at the very least loop the lines.