1965 oil sending unit

• Sponsors (?)

Is it the hex tube into the block or the sender in the hex tube you want to remove ? The sender has to come out first if the fuel pump is still in place and if i remember its a 9/16 wrench on the bottom of the sender ,the hex tube will then come out with a 3/4 inch socket .

I have a 1965 Mustang stock 289 there is no hex tube that i can see. the sending unit is in the worst place ford could have put it, between the fuel pump and the oil filter. the unit is for an idiot light, i removed the electrical wire and now i need to get the sending unit out of the block, i removed the oil filter but that really does not help. i have tried a number ofsockets both standard and metric and have not found one to fit it, i cannot imagine in 1965 that ford used anytrhing metric. this is most frustrating.

Can you post a picture of it? Is the sending unit just screwed into the block? Usually there is a hex tube that is 2 or 3" long that screws into the block and the sending unit screws onto that.

Something like this.

1592584340302.png

Reactions: 1 user
That was just a random picture that I found on the internet to illustrate what I was talking about. I have the 289 out of my 65 on an engine stand at home. I'll take a look at it when I get home. I might have a picture of it on my computer here....

Also, the fuel pump was removed on that picture that I posted. Making it way easier to get to. I'm not suggesting that you remove your fuel pump though.

Yeah, man. I'm sorry I didnt post earlier. I've been with the family all day. I looked at the engine. The sending unit is not installed at the moment. Just a hole in the block. I can take a picture of it if you want.

Im glad you got it out! I would look into getting one of those hex tubes that will let you get to it easier next time. I also find it hard to believe that Ford was using anything metric in 1965.