1965 vs 1966 Dashpad

• Sponsors (?)

the dash pads have a different shape, mostly in the center ,where they are cut back, so to speak... ive know the instrument cluster is a pretty common swap (my 65 has a 66 cluster, becuase the 66 uses 5 separate gauges, instead of 2 gauges, and 3 idiot lights.:shrug:

Yes, the dash pads have a different shape. The 65' is pretty much a straight across dash. The 66' has a wrap around effect. It has extended ears that droop down lower around the dash bezel, the radio, and the glove box door.

A 66' dash pad can be installed in a 65', but would require that 4 new holes be drilled in the 65' metal dash frame. These holes are needed in order for you to attach the aforementioned ear sections tightly to the dash.

IIRC, the 66 does not use the little eyebrow chrome that is found above the gauge bezel and the glove box door. There is probably some attachment differences there too.

1965:
PAD1U.jpg

1966:
charity10.jpg

Yes this is all true, I have a 66 coupe but the P.O put in a 65 dash... So there are 4 holes... annoying to see holes but w.e.

Why put it in? I'm not sure i guess availability or ordered the wrong part and was too lazy to send it back. Or... he didn't like the 66 maroon red so he wanted the 65 red... he also changed the seats to 65 red, but not the carpet and the paint...:shrug: So now... I have 65 red seats, 65 red dash pad but the rest is painted 66 red, 66 red doors with 65 red panels; and 65 red carpet (i ordered a new one)
It's unique kinda gives a contrast.

Here is before i got the interior repainted (The painter messed up my colors i wanted a 65 red but he put on a 66 red)

View attachment 356451

See the hole on the left there's 4 all across that is where the 66 dash wraps down to

Why put in a '66 dashpad for a '65?????

I think most people put in a '66 dashpad in place of the '65 because the chrome trim that goes underneath the '65 dashpad is not reproduced.
Because of this, it can be quite expensive ( I saw a set last week for $135). Sometimes a good set of the trim strips cost almost as much as the dash pad itself (if you can find some).
If you are missing the trim, you can drill the extra holes, mount a '66 dashpad, and most people won't ever notice that the trim is missing.