1966 manual uninteresting RNP. Modify stock column or new?

I found a uninteresting rnp for my 1966 roller. I have a ‘65 parts car and an old column to work with. My question is, do I re build my old column or just buy a new on that I do not have to cut down to work with my newish rack n pinion? I have seen some columns on line for $200ish and the ididit for $500-$600. Not really wanting to spend $600. However, I do not want to end up with problems and a loose steering column. If I rebuild my old setup, I need new bearings and a signal switch. Not to mention the time it takes to sand and clean th old tube. Any advice wo be helpful

There is no reason to buy an aftermarket column unless you must have tilt. The stock column works just fine...you really only need a new upper bearing and something that works for a bearing/shaft support for the bottom(I saw a bearing down at Tractor Supply Company that would work just fine for the application. You will of course still need to figure out an intermediate shaft of some type with U-joints, but all in you should be able to do it for less than $200 easily enough

Reactions: 1 user