1966 Mustang Custom BackSeat/Trunk

Martyred

Jul 5, 2006
Ok so for those who don't know (probley all of you) I'm a rather tall guy. I stand about 6'7" and most of it is in my legs. Before i took out my interior i sat down and realized that If i do get a manual transmission with my V-8 upgrade i'm not going to have alot of leg room with the current classic seats.

The seats are really uncomfortable to me anyhow so i figured i would just put in new racing seats or something of that sort. So i was looking at some seats and toying with how i would allow the seat to be installed further back to create more leg room and i realized that the backseat would have no room for any normal person to sit in it, then i wondered why i needed a back seat in the first place.

So my thought train moved into a car without the backseat and maybe an area that could be used for storage/ place for my dog to lay down in the back without tearing up leather seats/ put grociers etc (this is a dayly driver). I have a trunk you say? well i eventually plan to put in a decent size sound system in the trunk (nothing huge i've had 12"s before might just get a couple of 10"s and put them in the sides of the trunk etc.

So now that ive made you read my life story, here is my question:

Have any of you guys/gals made some type of custom backseat compartment for a 1966 mustang or any other year for that matter? I was thinking something as simple as some sheet metal that is shaped to put a "platform" over the backseat and backseat floor panel going all the way back to the opening to the trunk. I would also build a "trap door" to store some basic tools / car jack and a place for a spare tire to rest (probley more in the trunk area).

Seen any setups like this?

• Sponsors (?)

No one done anything like this? I've put together some drawings and cut out some cardboard for how i want the backseat platform to look like. Will show some stuff later.

I'm at the point where im picking out sound deading material, carpet, and seats (with a 3 point seatbelt).

What are some nice (not too expensive and doesnt have to be leather) black racing type seats that would give me a more comphertable ride and fit the holes for the 66 mustang?

I'm 6'4" and the back seat of my coupe is just for the child seat. A couple weekends ago I had to drive my 6'3" 270 lb friend home with his teenage son and his friend from camping because their car broke down. We had to explain to them that the car isn't really a four seater, it's what they used to call a 2+2. I told them not to complain because at least my car wasn't being towed home.

Tall People

I'm 6'3" and we took out the seat riser and mover the seat holes back 3". Now I have a lot more leg room and its a 2+2 not a four seater. They sell a racing panel for taking out the rear seat check it out at mustangs unlimited and mustang depot both I believe.

66+67 said:
I'm 6'3" and we took out the seat riser and mover the seat holes back 3".

Personally, I would never totally remove the seat pan without adding some reinforcements. They add to the rigidity of the chassis.

I'm 6'3" and I accomplished my goals by lowering the existing seat pan 1 1/2". I also made brackets that allow the stock seat to move back up to 3" beyond what normally came in the Mustang (I only needed 2".) I also swapped out the pistol grip pony door handle for a standard one.

I now have plenty of leg space to stab the clutch and I love the straight armed steering. The shifter seems a little forward, but a longer shifter ball helped.

A side benefit is that I can also wear a helmet. I get many comments that I look like a little kid driving with my head just above the door. LOL