1967 289 Coupe: Suspension Mod Q.

Snail50

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2001
Miami
For my first major undertaking on the new machine, here's what I'm thinking about:

http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchan...oduct_Code=suprstrtr&Category_Code=suspension

I've done some research, and the 620# springs, 5 leaf mid-mount leafs, and KYB Gas-Adjusts seem like the best option for VERY Tight handling and a good ride height. I don't mind a little harshness because I want GOOD handling.

Question: will the above combo make the car sit at about the same height front and rear, or will the front be slightly lower?

(I will probably keep the 289 in the car in the interest of weight distribution and engine-bay fitment. I'll do a performance rebuild on it at some point.)

Question: Does anyone know if the above kit comes with replacements for EVERY suspension bushing? I need to replace them all (original, and crumbling to dust).

Question: I'm running stock rims & tires right now. Will they work/look okay for awhile with the above kit, or will I have to spring for a new rim/tire package right away? (Mod # 2 is a disk brake conversion, and I was planning to do the rim & tire upgrade at that point...16 or 17" rims.)

Question for anyone who has done an install like this one: how long does it usually take, and what tools will I need? I've done suspension work on my newer Mustangs, and I remember the coil springs being a nightmare, even with a compressor. How are the 620s to get in? Also, when replacing the bushings, how difficult might it be to get the old ones out? On the newer Mustangs I had, I had to heat the metal with a torch to get the bushings out....
Does the kit come with instructions, or do I have to eyeball it in the way the old setup was? I have a Haynes already, so that should help.

(67GTAFB already gave me some info. Thanks! :nice: )

• Sponsors (?)

All bushings came with the kit. Mine all came out pretty easy, others have had problems. It took me a month of Saturdays to get finished, but I am under no pressure on my car. Get a spring compressor to remove the originals, but the 620s (if they are drop springs) will almost slide in place. Get a big breaker bar with a deep socket, and a large sledge hammer, also read the ball joint article at the Mustangplus website.

I've done some research, and the 620# springs, 5 leaf mid-mount leafs, and KYB Gas-Adjusts seem like the best option for VERY Tight handling and a good ride height. I don't mind a little harshness because I want GOOD handling.

It's nearly impossible to tell beforehand where the car will sit when you're done. If I was to guess, I'd guess it'd be level or MAYBE a little lower in the rear. That's not necessarily bad: you can always cut the front springs after you've driven the car for 50 miles or so (things will settle, so drive it first!).

In terms of keeping your 289, I've never been a fan of big blocks in Mustangs, but I'm not a quarter mile guy anyway (I live for the twisties). If you want more power than you can get out of a 289, you can always go to a 331 or 347 stroker (I'm planning on that in a year or so).

If the kit comes with all bushings, you may want to stay away from polyurethane on the strut rods. I have poly everywhere but there: it was really harsh and I was terrified that I'd snap a rod on the track. I went with some solid bushing adjustable strut rods from my friends at StreetOrTrack and I am VERY happy with them. Go rubber or midolyne on the struts.

You should be fine with stock rims and tires, although it won't look as good as some low profile 16 or 17 inch rims and tires (one note: if you do go bigger wheels later, you should do a search to find out why 17 inch rims are easier to work with - look up backspacing)

I'd give it a weekend if you're really working, or two if you want to go a little slower. The front bolts on the leaf springs may end up being your hardest thing to tackle. You can usually rent a spring compressor from stores like Kragen or Autozone. The 620's should go in real easy (mine are custom cut and I don't even need a compressor anymore.

Ok, you're on your own! Good Luck!

Great advice!! Thanks guys.
the 620s: can they be had in different lowering heights? If so, what height would you recommend with the rear mid-mount 5-leafs in order to get a fairly level or SLIGHT nose-low stance? I don't want to be ground-scrapingly low, either. I would be upgrading the rims & tires to some 16-17" w/performance low-pro tires.