1967 Coupe Restore/upgrade

jcsinc

Jul 29, 2010
Original Specs (A code)
1967 2-Door Hardtop
289 Premium V8-4v
C-4 Automatic Tranny
3.00:, conventional axle

Ok, we are pulling the 289/4v (A-code) and tranny out so I can prep the engine bay and rebuild the suspension and brakes, while I make a decision on the tranny, AOD or rebuild the C4, Please advise.

The motor runs good, it was rebuilt approx 20 years ago (sat for last 15yrs or so) and probably has no more than 30k on the motor since the rebuild. I'm going to put it on a stand and replace the gaskets, seals and do some part upgrades, here is a list of what i plan to replace and any recomendations of brands and whatever I missed is appreciated. BTW I want to add a little kick (HP) to that 289 with some bolt on upgrades.

Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Pan Gaskets
front & rear main seals
Water Pump & thermostat
Radiator (for A/C setup)
Fan & clutch w/Shroud
All Hoses
Intake manifold upgrade
Carb upgrade (engine has been rebuilt)
headers
Electronic Ignition 9w/ wires plugs etc.)

thanks
jcsinc

Attachments

• 67 Mustang-289-4v-A-Code.jpg
    67 Mustang-289-4v-A-Code.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 67-V8-Coupe-A-Code.jpg
    67-V8-Coupe-A-Code.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Sponsors (?)

I would upgrade to some mild aftermarket heads. Factory 289 heads are garbage, and that will really waker the motor up with the headers and new intake. I would also consider an upgraded cam. You can do a lot better than factory, even with an RV grind.

Max Power,

Can you or a member make a suggestion for the mild cam and heads? Yes It would be nice/fun to get iit up around 300hp without having to swap crank, pistons and rods and put too much stress on the engine. Oh by the way I wwould like to stay with a newly rebuilt C4 and my 8" rearend with 3.00 gears.

By the way what's an RV grind?

thanks
jcs