1967 engine bay measurements needed!

66fstbk

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2002
Danville,CA.
Hello, I need to replace my radiator support and strut rod brackets as someone in the past did a complete hack job either repairing the originals or installing new pieces.

anyway, taking measurements before i start really isnt going to help me much as everything is already off. the front wheels are toe'd in a bunch and i think it might be from the aprons sagging in a bit when the rad. support was previously removed.

can someone provide me with some numbers say between the front frame rails and from the firewall forward?

or is there somewhere online i can find these specs?

thanks.

View attachment 178086
View attachment 178088
View attachment 178089
View attachment 178090
View attachment 178091

oh man.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

66fstbk,
You, sir, appear to be a perfect candidate for this standard kit:

Disc Brake, Steering and Suspension Products for classic Chevy and Ford cars and trucks

Unless you are doing an original style restoration.
It will eliminate your strut rods/brackets and secure your rails at the correct width prior to/during radiator support replacement. Also, from the pics, the angle of your front wheels is pretty typical of a Mustang with the engine removed. Your frame rails may not be off as much as you think.
My $.025,
Gene

66fstbk,
You, sir, appear to be a perfect candidate for this standard kit:

Disc Brake, Steering and Suspension Products for classic Chevy and Ford cars and trucks

Unless you are doing an original style restoration.
It will eliminate your strut rods/brackets and secure your rails at the correct width prior to/during radiator support replacement. Also, from the pics, the angle of your front wheels is pretty typical of a Mustang with the engine removed. Your frame rails may not be off as much as you think.
My $.025,
Gene

Gene, thank you for the post.

Im glad to hear that the angle on those wheels might not be as bad as i was thinking.

I am definitely not planning on an original style resto. so no worries with that.

Now, I just looked at the CPP kit and it seems to be a good alternative. My question is, how much better would it be to use a Mustang II setup? That would eliminate the struts also correct?

It seems that th mustang 2 setups are not that much more than the CPP setup, and also come with spindles, brakes, etc.

what do you think?

I', not a big fan of Mustang II setups or rack & pinion in general due to clearance issues and turning radius degradation. I think thjat CPP kit will alleviate most design deficiencies in the stock suspension & steering. The next $400 that I can spare is going to buy that setup for my 68.
HTH,
Gene

I', not a big fan of Mustang II setups or rack & pinion in general due to clearance issues and turning radius degradation. I think thjat CPP kit will alleviate most design deficiencies in the stock suspension & steering. The next $400 that I can spare is going to buy that setup for my 68.
HTH,
Gene

Yeah I've been reading many mixed reviews about the mustang II setup. This cPp setup does look like a modest upgrade and is pretty reasonably priced. I figure I will save $120 on buying strut brackets and will need to replace all front suspension anyway.........

I need to do some more research and see how it's working out for others but it's first in line for me right now. Thanks for the info.

frame.jpg

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 5,095