1967 Tranny Question

cpfitz14

May 23, 2007
Hey everyone... i'm new here.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on my dream car... a 67 mustang. Its an automatic with a 302. Everything about the car seems solid, however the transmission is described as being "ok but could be redone in the future." I guess it leaks a little and when it shifts at full acceleration 2-3rd wants to slip or not catch but it down shifts great.

If I do get it, it would likely be my daily driver. I dont have a ton of car knowledge, at least not YET. So what i'm wondering is :

Should this deter me at all?
If I had to replace the transmission, how much would parts and labor cost. Also... could I do it myself? I don't have a lot of knowledge, but I am pretty capable of following directions.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If you rebuild the C4 yourself, it's under $100. If you have someone else do it, look to pay between $500 to $1500 depending on whether you want hi-performanve parts. For a stock ride, there is no need for hi-performance parts. Leaks are easy to fix; see the other thread here for common leak spots to check.
The "slip" into 3rd. could be a band adjustment which is done externally or sometimes can be fixed with a better servo (also an external bolt-on), but most likely it is just worn clutches and internal parts.
Either way, if it is a solid car, I wouldn't let it keep me from buying as long as you don't depend on it for daily transportation.

If the body is solid and straight, don't let a transmission deter you from pulling the trigger. Mechanical parts like the tranny, motor and rear end are relatively cheap and easy to replace/fix compared to body work. As a daily driver, you will only find out with time how reliable it is. Old cars are great in their simplicity but lacking in refinement. I suggest upgrading the brakes for example. Cooling system could probably be updated... stuff like that.
Kevin

Thanks for the help so far everyone. I'm kind of thinking the same thing. I'm hoping to test drive it soon to find out the state of the transmission. I can't really afford two cars, so it WOULD be a daily driver, which is my main concern.

I've been doing some reading about swapping for a T5, which I wouldn't mind doing, especially if the tranny is already going. Any idea how much that'd run me?

40 year old daily driver hmm. Depends on what has ben done to it from a reliability standpoint. I'm just to the point that I'm feeling petty confident I can take mine out with out potentially have some problem. Bought a year a ago and 7 k later. If body solid sounds like a good car but make sure you know what you're getting into - brakes, tranny, engine, fuel lines, cooling system, etc. Good luck on your choice.

The "slip" into 3rd. could be a band adjustment which is done externally or sometimes can be fixed with a better servo (also an external bolt-on), but most likely it is just worn clutches and internal parts.

C4 uses a band for second gear. Adjusting it has little effect on third shift and won't help slipping. High/reverse clutches and/or slow shifting valvebody are likely the problem.