1968 "Arizona Special" is finally back from paint! (Pics) - Slow download alert!

68keyblr

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 17, 2003
Arizona
After 7 long months in the body shop, the "Arizona Special" finally came home last night:

finished_front_800.jpg

http://12.201.99.107/azspecial/imag.../azspecial/images/finished_rear_800.jpg[/IMG]

• Sponsors (?)

Color

geostang351 said:
NICE!!! What color is that? Kinda a cranberry pearl?

It's the Laser Red from Mid 90's Mustangs with metal flake. When it's not in direct sunlight it looks dark like cranberry, but when its in the sun it looks bright red - so it has this sort of pearlescent quality to it.

Interesting fact - the guy that painted my car (Bob Smee) did the batmobile for the 1989 batman :D

Burnouts!

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
Yeah that is one sharp car, very nice job. :nice:

Now get her on the road and do some burnouts.

I'm very happy that I did the drivetrain and supsension first, so now I can go have fun as soon as I get her back together :D

Of course now I'm broke because of Christmas (5 kids) so I'll have to wait a little bit to get some of the parts I need.

Good Question!

chepsk8 said:
Very, very cool car!

Question, why not the 67 Shelby Style hood?

That's a very good question. I wrestled over this decision for some time but finally decided that I really like the stock hood with the built in turn signal vents. Also, fitting a fiberglass hood properly costs on average several thousand dollars and I used up that part of my budget getting the fiberglass decklid and end caps to fit right.

Bob Smee

Dark Knight said:
Sweet :nice:
Where is the painter located? One of these days my 68 will be ready for paint..

The Painter is Bob Smee of Carcoa (www.carcoa.com). He's moving to his new shop this week. He's located in Mesa on Main st Between Lindsay and Val Vista on the south side of the road

He painted my dad's 65 vert also and it came out beautiful. I guess "paint" is an understatement since he replaced all outer sheetmetal on the car except for the hood.

Cost

67staaang said:
siickk job man. how much did everything come out to? lovee the colorrr!!

That's actually a good story. We started out at about 5K for a decent paint job with buried stripes, fitting fiberglass apron and decklid/endcaps (there was virtually no body work required). After the color was on it came out nicer than expected so I agreed to pay another 3K to take it to the next level which was paint the interior beige and add another 4 coats of clear to the exterior, then wetsand with 1200, 1500, 2000, and finally 3000 grit paper.

To say I'm very happy with the results for what I paid is an understatement. In my opinion the painter went above and beyond in many of the little details that made the fit and finish excellent.

Dark Knight said:
Cool.. I have pretty much all the body work done on mine, just needs some sanding and to be shot..going to do the interior the same color as the exterior.

When are going to have it put together?

Alot of paint guys won't paint over someone else's body work, but I've seen Bob work with other people. He's painting a '69 Mach I right now that was prepped by the owner. Just tell him Jeff sent you :D

I have most of the new parts to put it back together but need to order all of the weatherstipping still, and of course Christmas has me broke! I'm hoping to be close by the end of February. We want to do the Route 66 Fun Run in April.