1968 Mustang Cold Starting Issue

stp123456

Aug 30, 2018
canada
Hoping someone might be able to help give me some guidance. Recently purchased a 68 auto 289 mustang. When sitting more than around 6 hours it won't start unless I put some gas into the carb directly, once done starts right up, and if I start it will restart with one crank really easily. I'm assuming this is an issue with the carb, and probably requires a rebuild (which I was planning to do anyways), but are there other issues anyone's run into that may be effecting this unrelated to the carb or choke? Any help is mucho appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like a carb issue to me but I would first look at the choke adjustment and also look down in the carb before you start it and verify you are getting that squirt of gas when you push the throttle. Sounds like its not getting that priming.

On that note I'm not trying to be condescending or anything but are you pumping the gas a few times before trying to start and maybe a few while cranking?
Some people aren't familiar with classic cars and carbs and don't realize that you need to prime the carb by pumping a few times. New cars have injectors (throttle body or port injected) and don't require pumping the gas.

Yes, doing the gas pumping, and actually tried to flood it but it doesn't seem to get enough gas to it. The choke may be the issue.

I have a black knob close to where the emergency brake is. (by left side of steering wheel) that pulls in and out. Had my wife pull, but couldn't see any movement anywhere in engine compartment or carb. Could this be a manual choke? It doesn't show it in the manual.