• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

1969 mustang ignition problem please help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jojov714
  • Start date Start date Oct 23, 2019
  • Tags Tags
    1969 mustang aaw american autowire help ignition rewire wiring
J

Jojov714

Member
Oct 23, 2019
6
1
13
Tustin, CA
Oct 23, 2019
#1
  • Oct 23, 2019
  • #1
I don't know too much about cars but I recently bought a 1969 mustang and I decided to rewire using American auto wire (AAW) and I finally finished and ready to start the car, when I put the key into the on position the car immediately tried starting without me turning the key, it also made this noise like if it was overworking itself so I took out the battery and now I am in a tight spot and was looking for help thanks in advance for any replies as I'm new to forums.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0242.webp
    317.3 KB · Views: 1,169
  • IMG_0241 2.webp
    268.9 KB · Views: 542
T

tball1

New Member
Nov 4, 2019
1
0
1
pennsylvania
Nov 4, 2019
#2
  • Nov 4, 2019
  • #2
Jojov714 said:
I don't know too much about cars but I recently bought a 1969 mustang and I decided to rewire using American auto wire (AAW) and I finally finished and ready to start the car, when I put the key into the on position the car immediately tried starting without me turning the key, it also made this noise like if it was overworking itself so I took out the battery and now I am in a tight spot and was looking for help thanks in advance for any replies as I'm new to forums.
Click to expand...
I know it's a few days since your post but did you solve your problem?? I noticed on your pics you did not have any connection on your #10 right front terminal on your solenoid.. and your left front terminal should only have 12v on it when you turn your ign key to START.. not RUN. so get back to me and let's try and fix your problem.. now did your 69 come with a ceramic ballast or did you add it yourself.. i know the 64.65/66 came with a 1.34 ohm fuse link. jsut curious..
 

Olivethefet

I will own your nuts! LOL
5 Year Member
May 17, 2018
2,596
1,790
143
Enterprise AL
Nov 4, 2019
#3
  • Nov 4, 2019
  • #3
Did a quick Google search on 69 mustang starter solenoid wiring. Would you believe it lead me to a thread right here on Stangnet! Anyway, this is an older post but might help. You changed out the wiring harness so colors of wires might be different. The car should defiantly not just start cranking when you turn the key on. It sounds like you have the wrong wire going to the terminal on the solenoid.

Take the wire off of the solenoid and turn the key on. Get a volt meter and check for voltage. You should not have voltage with the key simply in the on position. If you have the right wire you will see voltage when the key is turned to the start position. IIRC

Did you take pics of everything before you took it apart. They might help you as well.
 

Olivethefet

I will own your nuts! LOL
5 Year Member
May 17, 2018
2,596
1,790
143
Enterprise AL
Nov 4, 2019
#4
  • Nov 4, 2019
  • #4
Here is the thread!

1969 Mustang Starter Solenoid Wiring

So on the starter solenoid, there are two copper posts for the positives, one leading from the battery, and one to the starter. There are also two smaller posts, one labeled S, the other labeled I. Could somebody please trace the two wires from those posts and tell me where they lead, and...
www.stangnet.com
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

C
Electrical HELP! 1989 5.0 Stick, Voltage Bleed onto Ignition Trigger wire
  • ChickenDeluxe
  • May 14, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
309
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 24, 2026
ChickenDeluxe
C
M
85 mustang 5.0 cranking in run position
  • Mamaclean
  • May 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
193
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 1, 2026
General karthief
L
2000 Mustang PATS - Broken Key and Wire - HELP!
  • Laree Taylor
  • May 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
293
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 12, 2026
manicmechanic007
F
Fox 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 A9L – Engine suddenly shuts off but immediately restarts when key turned
  • FishermansFriend
  • Aug 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
524
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2026
General karthief
M
01 mustang 3.8 fuel pressure issue
  • Mhaley2006
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
366
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 9, 2026
JohnKay
J
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?