1970 mustang - torque converter won’t mate to flywheel

Stangboi4444

Jul 13, 2016
I have a 1970 mustang with a 289 engine and a c4 transmission. Over the winter, the freeze plugs popped out so I pulled the engine to replace them. When I put it back in, there was a gap between the engine and transmission. I pulled the engine back out and reinstalled it to no avail. I closed the gap but the engine would not turn over, indicating a mismatched torque converter and flywheel. How should I go about lining up the torque converter and flywheel? I haven’t found much help on the internet and this is the fourth time I’ve taken the engine back out. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Are you using the flywheel and torque converter that you removed last winter? Many times a converter will get "stabbed" back in to the transmission and not go all the way into the pump properly. One has to carefully keep the converter square as it slides in and rotate gently. Eventually you will feel it slide the rest of the way into the transmission pump. Sometimes the pump can be damaged if the TC as not all the way in and the trans/engine bolts tightened. Maybe this information will help.

Once you get the engine back out, you can use a ruler to measure how far the flywheel is from the mating surface of the block and measure the mating surface of the trans to the front of the TC. I didn't mention it earlier but you have to have the drain plug of the TC lined up with the hole in the flywheel. Another tip, ALWAYS use a 6 point socket removing and replacing the TC nuts as to not damage them so that they could ever be removed again.

Ok thank you guys so much for the input. First I knew about the drain plugs thing from looking it up on my second attempt but my torque converter has no drain plug. Also, is there a way to test the pump or should I just get it all together and test it?

at this point put it together, keep in mind it needs to slide together with the bell housing flush before you try to tighten, don't use the bolts to draw it together.

Reactions: 1 user