1972 convertible pre-purchase question

Hmmm70

Apr 26, 2020
Michigan
Hi all. I've owned a few mustangs over the years, all Fox bodies. I have the opportunity to purchase a '72 convertible (302, automatic) that is essentially rust-free in the body with badly faded paint, but the floor pans are rusted quite badly. The car runs well, appears to be stock. I am an RN and travel all over, currently in NJ, home state of Mi, so don't have time or ability/knowledge to do rust repair work myself. It is a southern car that sat in the dun a long while. Should I consider this car to be made into a weekend driver for my wife, or would i be best to run (from car, not wife....most days)?
Attached picture I took this afternoon. Wife saw this car and really liked it's look, but I don't know much about them. Thanks all. Sorry for the long post.
-Pete

Attachments

• KIMG0800.JPG
    KIMG0800.JPG
    353 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I did a full floor on a 73 i used a new 69 floor ,a little different but worked fine , they are coming out with new sheetmetal all the time and they do have some for the 71 73 now . I would look it over well ,especially the frame rails . My mom drove a 73 Mach 1 as a daily driver for several years

^^^^get it on a lift and check everything you can touch/scrape with an awl/screwdriver to see the extent of the rust...if in the frame rails, etc...skip it.

((Personally, after dealing with a '76 Ranchero with rusted out floor pans (Nebraska car), I walk away if the floors are gone...too many other lurking issues)).

Holy Cow ive stepped back in time. Havent been on this website in years!!!!

Rust is gunna be the biggest issue as with any classic. water gets it and sits in the floor boards. i replaced my floor boards years back and its alot of work. mine was my moms daily driver from the mid 80s to mid 90's, after i got it it was mine through HS and college. i can tell you the biggest improvements from me as a daily were the suspension, power disc brakes and the A/C if its hot where you live. as for power if you dont need alot, dont bother with the motor if you dont have to cause once you get the power bug, its hard to stop. just keep it reliable.

Thank you all for your reply. I've been out and about helping out in NJ with the whole covid situation. It's finally starting to look promising things are turning the corner. I give all the medical and other workers living there a lot of credit.
I'm back here in Michigan for a few days and am planning on getting under the car tomorrow and checking the frame rails, as you have suggested. Hopefully they are not bad, but if so, I'll walk away.
As for the engine and power, I used to have a '70 Plymouth with stout, tunnel-rammed 440 that ran 11.7/117 quarter. Not blazing fast, but got it out of my system I am now looking for a fun weekend cruise-in car for my wife and I.
Body on this one is really clean, which drew me in. Will look underneath without -hopefully- letting excitement or emotion cloud the sound advice you've offered. I will update tomorrow after crawling around under it, with pics, I hope. Thank you all again for your responses.

Sorry for the delayed response. Well, I checked the car out closely and had a mechanic look it over. Floors need replaced, but frame rails are very solid. Inner fenders by hood hinge mounts have some rust. Overall, pretty solid. I bought it...and brought the step kids over to take the attached picture. I surprised my wife with it for her birthday and mother's day because she has liked this car for quite a while. She is really excited!
Now, to start on the work ...
KIMG0003.JPG