1972 good idea?

72whitestallion

Apr 11, 2008
I am looking to buy my first classic mustang. My brother and I are looking to buy one together. We found a 1972 mustang conv. It has 48,000 original miles on it. It looks good in pictures. We are going to look at it tomorrow. They are asking $8400 for it. Is this a good deal? What are some things to look for? Will this be a good investment? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

investment? I'm not sure the 71-73 body style isn't highly sought after like the others. but that is a good deal. is it a plain jane 302? make sure the top works. look for rust spots by the tail lights inside of the trunk, wheel wells, floor. if it really is that low in miles its a steal. I got my 73 vert for 9k with 64k original miles and everything was in perfect working order but the starter. goodluck. and be prepared to see how little 71-73 specific parts in the aftermarket there are.

Well, you've probably made your decision by now, but I'll add my .02. Big bodies are going up in value. When we bought our 73 in 02, we paid less than $1k for it, delivered to our house. It wasn't in great shape, but I've seen them in worse shape going for over $2K on Ebay. Make sure your doors line up, convertibles tend to have more body flex. I don't know if the classic verts had subframe connecters (my 00 does, but a friends 98 vert doesn't). Cowls are big for rot-dump water in there. If the owner doesn't want you to-RUN! It's a PITA to fix. We had a LOT of rot on our 73, including the pass side shock tower, at the bottom (I noticed it when I was under the car removing the motor mount on that side). Also, the wheelhouses, trunk drop offs and pans. Check the Rad support also.

If it's in good shape, I say it's a good deal.