1974 Mustang. Intake manifold and carburetor questions.

Iommi

Jul 22, 2018
Connersville
Hi. I recently bought a 1974 Mustang II Ghia. It has a different carburetor on it. Looks more like a 302 carb with a screw in the center. It's a motorcraft. It is a 2.8L V6. I'm very confused on these 74s. My intake has the carburetor sitting horizontally instead of vertically. Should it be vertical or horizontal? I can post pictures if needed. It is a V6 intake, but not sure if original. I need help because I want to return this car to stock. My car also has a paint code of 9D instead of 9C, but it is a 1974. Lol.

Attachments

• 20180722_124142.jpg
    20180722_124142.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 660
  • Sponsors (?)

Maybe someone put a Capri II carb on it? It's hard to say. The car was repainted red at one point. It was white. This car is a mystery to me.
2.8s could be had with 2100 carburetors like that one or the 5200.
Both are great carburetors. The 5200 is more modern and efficient, the 2100 is easier to work on and usually flows better (more power).
I'd keep what you've got, fixing anything that's wrong with it. If you want originality, find any small Ford center-stud air cleaner you can at a junkyard and slap it on there. It'll look correct.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/d/1976-ford-mustang-ii-all/6635500250.html

There's a look at a 2.8 in a II with what looks like a 2100 as well, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
My '78 2.8 II had the Motorcraft 2150 on the original motor. The '76 2.8 II motor I dropped in there had a 2100 on it. Pretty sure '74 was a changeover year, some may have had 2100's and some went to the 2150's. They're basically the same carb +/- a few features (variable air bleed primarily). That nice tag could help you determine which one. Looks like a stock carb in a stock configuration and stock orientation.

What intake are you referring to that has the carb oriented differently? What i see in this pic is the normal stock orientation for the normal stock throttle and kickdown linkages.

My 74 mustang was equipped with a 2.8L which was seized. Everything I still have of the stock engine is the intake manifold and the carburator...
I can offer to make some pictures, if it helps you with your research. From memory it is a reproduction of a weber weber 32/36 carburator made by holley…
If you wan't to convert it back to stock for "matching numbers" purpose, I'm also willing to sell both.

Reactions: 1 user