1977 Trans-Am Vs. My Car

sade04

Sep 13, 2004
Lansdale, PA
So who do you guys think will win? '77 trans-am or my '94 5-spd vert? theres this guy at work that wont stop talkin **** on me and my car and how hes gonna bust my ass with his "big block" trans am as soon as it get out of the shop. My guess is that hes basically just getting the car running so probably no performance parts. my car is almost stock too except catback and k&n. I really have no clue when it comes to those cars, so what am i up against?

• Sponsors (?)

A buddy of mine has a 79 T/A that he swapped in a B.O.P 400 from his old catalina and put some ram air III ported heads and an ultradyne roller cam on it with a Demon (dont remember the number) carb. With the stock 350 turbo, and 4.11 gears he runs 12.8 @109ish (on hwy rolles from 1st gear he has beat 12.1 cars). He just got a diff. reworked Demon and added a 165-170 shot of n2o and is looking for 10's if it will hook. Freakish power for the 2-3k in the whole motor including the rebuild he had done by the mech. shop that did the mach. work to the shortblock before he put it into the T/A.

Bone stock they sucked but if the guy has added any kind of head/or headwork and a decent cam/intake you could be in for some trouble if it was a motor bigger than the 301. 98% are total hoosier rides though.

1977, wait a second. That's the Bandit's car. Your name ain't Cletus is it? Cause if it is (or if you are Buford T. Justice), well sir, then you don't stand a chance.

:D

from what i remember those cars had good torque, but couldnt do anything with it to make HP... even though people dog us with our sn-95 verts... i think you'll walk all over him(he just thinks he's fast with all that TQ...)

Is it an olds 403" engine or a pontiac 400? I'd say its a drivers race if its a pontiac 400 and if its the olds 403, those are slower. The 400/4spd cars were the 'ones to get' back then.

Pontiacs engines just are. Doesn't matter if it's a 301 or a 455, there is no big or small block. They all are physically the same size and share the same architecture.