Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of the credit I've given to RTV as a header gasket material, I've just had my first failure.. ( used the grey sht instead of the copper...my mistake)

Had a weird thing happen yesterday before taking the car out when I went to start it..it wouldn't crank. Acted like it had a dead battery. ( which it didn't)
After a couple hits with the key, it finally rolled over and then started cranking normally,...but it took several cycles before it started.
I think there was water in a chamber.
When the engine did start, the headers were smoking like they had oil on them, and some of the v band flanges had either dripped water out or were oozing sizzling water during the first minute of warm up.

Didn't smell like antifreeze,...I think that there is a lot of condensation forming..I'm gonna pull plugs out of it and crank it when I get home tonight and see what blows out.

See......it don't matter....even when the thing is running as good as it is...it still does stuff to me to ensure that I'm working on it.

• Sponsors (?)

Is your meth tank still full?
METH.jpg

Got my eta for the tooge. It’s supposed to be here Friday, Monday at the latest. I gotta admit, this is the only shipment that I’m actually glad it’s taking longer than it should have. Kate should be gone all next week...perfect opportunity to have a big assed tractor trailer pull up my street and off load 700 pounds of rice in my driveway.

I’ve got the “oil pan fab plan” gears grinding along in my head. It amazes me that (A.) as expensive and rare as a rear sump pan is...and (B.) as old as the engine is..that NOBODY has come up with a rear sump pan for this damn engine.

Until now..I’m gonna make a swap pan for the thing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I’ve got the “oil pan fab plan” gears grinding along in my head. It amazes me that (A.) as expensive and rare as a rear sump pan is...and (B.) as old as the engine is..that NOBODY has come up with a rear sump pan for this damn engine.
Until now..I’m gonna make a swap pan for the thing.

Don't sell yourself short. You're going to make 2 or 3 or 4 oil pans for that thing!

:doh:

Reactions: 1 user
Don't sell yourself short. You're going to make 2 or 3 or 4 oil pans for that thing!

:doh:
Oh ye of little faith....:nonono:

There have been several successful firsts with me...May I turn your attention to exhibit A:
temporary_zpsbfc5277f.jpg

Item B:
temporary_zpsc53ad39f.jpg

Uhh..C..
temporary_zps646b6894.jpg

Welded not once down the entire sides, but twice to merge the two pans together.

D....
20170920_184110_zpsnrphqapf.jpg

A freakin gas tank...(cause they don't leak if you do a sht job of welding...)

I'm sure there's more...how much time do you have?

I got years, according to my progress thread! It's been so freaking long, I will have to go to your TOC (table of contents thread) to figure out what YEAR you accomplished these feats. Then, I will read dozens, if not hundreds of posts about said event....instead of going out and working on my own :poo:!

I got years, according to my progress thread! It's been so freaking long, I will have to go to your TOC (table of contents thread) to figure out what YEAR you accomplished these feats. Then, I will read dozens, if not hundreds of posts about said event....instead of going out and working on my own :poo:!
Meh...don't be so hard on yourself..
The gas tank was done while I was recovering from the double knee surgery..
I think they looked like this at that time:
20170904_114002_zpsyfjmj1xe.jpg

Sep 2018....
The rest of the stuff was done when I was factory equipped.... ( i.e. Not sporting any metal joint replacements)

The oil pan was 2014..

cooler shroud was 2015..

Intake manifold was 2015..

Speaking of which, how are the knees. More to the point, at this point, knowing and feeling what you do, would you do the replacement again? My 70 yr old brother had one a couple years back and it got infected. Messed him up for at least a year. He said in hindsight, he wouldn't have done it.

Your picture additions confuse me...
It could be construed as a " win some/lose some" except...

I didnt consider Medusa a fail. I got that right the first time too..( well except that it was heavy as hell....and a little primitive looking)
There needs to be the "after" if Medusa is a loser too.
Theres no " before" for the tangled mess at the curb either...let me help.

There now...its a perfect world again.

Your picture additions confuse me...
It could be construed as a " win some/lose some" except...

I didnt consider Medusa a fail. I got that right the first time too..( well except that it was heavy as hell....and a little primitive looking)
There needs to be the "after" if Medusa is a loser too.
Theres no " before" for the tangled mess at the curb either...let me help.

There now...its a perfect world again.

I didn't think any of it was a "fail"; Just evolution.

Oh, and one just for funny :shrug:

You guys were talking about the cheap jump boxes that were available now that the Chinese have found a way to use capacitive discharge circuitry to create big power out of a small box.

I had to see for myself..

I got on Amazon ( my mostest favorite place of all online resellers), and ordered the one that was being talked about as an alternative to the better unit. ( the 50.00 piece instead of the 100.00 unit.)

And since I'm such a big Amazon user,..I had amassed "bonus bucks"... The 50 dollar piece ends up costing me 30.00 bucks shipped.
It came today.....I open it....The instructions claim it'll out put 800 cranking amps..it's the size of a paperback book.
No Freakin Way.
image.jpeg

You use a wall wart to charge this thing,...It has an internal flash lite, and is capable of charging a phone or tablet after its charged...
How can you not have one of these things in your car?
I'm almost tempted to go out and kill the Monsters Battery, just to see if the thing will work.

But I'll wait till that day comes.

The other topic for the three of you tonight is this bad boy:
2019%20BMW%20M850i%20xDrive%2001.jpg

The new 2019 M850i X drive.
523 hp, all wheels driven....and sub 3second 0-60 times.

I now know what that feels like.

It's one thing when you have big power, and the tires just go up in smoke trying to get moving in a forward direction..it's entirely a different thing when no tires spin, and the thing just lunges forward like it was shot out of a cannon.
It leaves you wondering which might be the better visceral experience...

*hint..while tire smoke and fish tails are a lot of fun, getting to the end first is much better.
To put a BMW in Launch control mode, You turn off the traction control, put the thing in sport mode, and stand on the brake and the gas at the same time.....a second later, a message at the bottom of the cluster says "Launch Control Activated"
You let off the brake, and then these words come out of your mouth:

Son ..of..a ..Bitch!

In about the time it takes to say that, the car has past 60 mph.

I know I can't convert the monster over to AWD.....but....
I can make him stop spinning the rear tires. When the 2Jay goes in, so will some method to try and keep wheel spin in check.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
Traction control... using a simple hall effect or vr sensor (hall effect easier to setup) we need wheel speed on one of the front tires, most 94+ spindles have this already.

Then we just need a vss sensor input from the transmission, most vss senders for aftermarket gauges are electronic. The 3 wire type are a hall effect sensor the two wire are a vr sensor. Once the wiring for these is available near the ECU we simply tie them into the system. Work some voodoo in the traction control area of tuner studio and pick a control method.... on a turbo car a dual method of boost by MPH and timing ramp based on wheel spin work very well.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.