1978 Mustang ll 5.0L oil pan fitment

TheMichigander51

Oct 3, 2023
I have a 1978 MUSTANG II with a 302 we bought a new oil pan for it and it basically matched the original (The original being unusable) but when we lowered it in to check placement. It seems to rest slightly on the steering rack but that is without the manual transmission on it. I was hoping to get some advise on if I bought the wrong oil pan or whether or not the transmission will bring it up slightly when it is bolted to the car and the engine. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you have a standard issue front sump pan. I have a comparison photo in another thread, I'll link it momentarily. There is also a part number in the thread to help identify the correct pan.

Welcome aboard

You will find many parts listed as fitting the Mustang II but do not.
The Pan that fits is very round and without shoulders in the area of the rack.
your options
Fix old pan
modify new pan
source good used.
raise engine (cutting hole in hood for carb)
Pan D5ZE-6675-AB
578179-72f436d6e019b4f38a626be028956bb8.jpg

Here is the thread with the pics and part number.

You can find quite a bit of info in the tech thread that has been stickied at the top of the II homepage. Welcome aboard!!

Reactions: 1 user
Here is the thread with the pics and part number.

You can find quite a bit of info in the tech thread that has been stickied at the top of the II homepage. Welcome aboard!!
I appreciate your help It looks like I have the other oil pan that you pictured instead of the correct one. The engine was missing miscellaneous parts when I got it some even in boxes so it's been challenging for the parts that are specific to the mustang 2. The good news is the body is in great shape for being in michigan it's whole life. I wish I had more pictures but the car is 40 min away at the moment on a buddies hoist.

Reactions: 1 users