1980 302?

Hey guys I was talking to my cousin yesterday and he is getting ready to junk his 1980 f-150. He has offered the engine to me because it has a 4 bolt main and he says that its one of the stoutest 302's built

My question is would it be worth it to go to this block? I would have a machine shop go through it before I use it but, is it worth all the hassle? I would want to make it fuel injected too so- I do not know if it has flat to pistons?

Thanks for the help Drew

• Sponsors (?)

Ahh stuff like this reminds me that ignorance is alive and well.

(I said ignorance, not stupidity)

#1 That someone would think that just because it's in a F 150 that it is a "truck" block and is sporting 4 bolt mains.

#2 That anyone would concur, and assume that it was a Boss block. An original 1969 Boss block, a mega rarity, that somehow has ended up in a poor ole lowly F-150 about to be junked.

I used to get these poor guys that would argue w/ me back in the days when I worked at a speed shop in Omaha. There was always some guy claiming he had a Boss 302 or even Boss 429 in his car, the eventual hood check always revealed it to be wrong.
Some of the guy(s) would continue to argue for their "hero status" even after having their claims dashed by opening another hood of another ford in the shop and showing them that that 302 in that car was ZACKLY the same as the Boss 302 in his. :shrug:

Whether or not it's worth it's free status depends on it's intended usage. a street motor will obviously have either a non- roller hydraulic or flat tappet, a street grind (smaller) solid roller, or can be upgraded w/ a retro hydraulic roller kit fitted in it. I don't see that as a throw away, but there is certainly nothing special about it.

2 bolt mains, non-roller block, same inherent weakness that the late model 5.0 Windsor blocks suffered from. I'd pass even if it is free.

Exactly.

I guess intended usage plays a role in the decision. For me, much better starting points, especially if the OP desires to make the engine EFI. For example..later Explorer motor.

Lets also remember on top of the fact they're non roller, that the water pump spins the wrong way in the early blocks, combined with their utilizing that crappy (leaky), rope style 2-piece rear main seal, means it's worth about its weight in scrap metal IMO.