1983 Mustang Cylinder Head Suggestions?

Greeno420

Mar 17, 2015
New to the forum here but I have a 1983 mustang with a built 306 and wanted some suggestions on cylinder heads. So heres the recipe...
-coated flat top pistons H273CP30
-comp cams extreme energy 31-238-3
-quick fuel technology 650 carb
- some sort of edelbrock intake maybe a performer.
- 1.460 valve springs and retainers
-(what I believe to be stock heads) milled .010
- crankshaft milled 010/010
- hydraulic lifters
-msd ignition and some others

I have been doing a lot of research and it seems as though my 306 could have been built with a little more aggressive HCI combo but it runs well and certainly throws me in the seat for now. I have been looking at edelbrock e-street heads but not sure as to how big of a head I could get on there. would a head with a 185cc chamber and 2.02 valves be too big for it? I have also been looking at the afr and tfs heads too. I would like to get a head that would still have satisfactory performance if I choose to do a 331 stroker later down the road.

thank you

• Sponsors (?)

If you are running the same stock style piston, you are going to be limited on the heads. If you run anything more than 1.90 intake will cause interference problems unless you have notched pistons with sufficient valve reliefs. Normally, you pick the heads first and then build the motor around them- cam, springs, etc. Regardless. it is always a good idea to check PTV clearance.

For heads, TFS 11R are the hot ones right now and will provide you room to grow.

Reactions: 1 users
@mikestang63 's advice is spot on, I would agree that the 11R Trickflow head would be the ticket. I have used them on more than a few builds and they make some really impressive power and typically don't have PTV issues (you still need to check)

Thanks for the feedback guys. My pistons appear to have a large valve relief I just wasn't sure but if you google the P/N it will show up. How much horsepower do you think I have now?