1983 v8 5.0 manual rear end swap

skipper83

Sep 12, 2019
redwoods
I need to swap the rear end of my 1983 fox and i was going to do it with an 1987 v8 5.0 fox. i was wondering if this would be a successful swap. i know that 83's have 7.5 rear ends while 87's have 8.8 axles. Will the conversion still work

• Sponsors (?)

The conversion will work but you may need to move the brake lines. I think the fittings are different. I had an 82 gt I was looking at doing the same thing to but sold car. Can't remember exactly what had to be done but it was minor.

Put an 8.8 in my 84 recently. Just ordered the 87 up rear brake hose and bracket from LMR. There was even the correct holes in the subframe to bolt it to. Move the brake line from the pass side to the drivers center. Dont know about fittings as I had to replace all the lines and didn't compare them. Everything else was bolt in.

Reactions: 1 user
I have had both types in my 82. You can just keep the brakes you have and bolt them on the new housing. I typically pull the axles, then unbolt the brakes and hang them from the car, lines and all. Install the new housing and put the brakes back on, then install the axles. Never have to bleed brakes.

You may need to rig up some bracket or brackets to retain the lines on the housing.