1985.5 SVO Mustang Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taps

Jun 13, 2011
I'm ready to part with my 1985.5 SVO Mustang. It should be yours for $2500.

image021.jpg

Before we get to the details, let me give a little history on this car. I have known this car for 15 years. It originally belonged to a customer at the engine shop where I worked when I was 16. I first met it as a tired street car. The owner at the time was wanting to sell it after his son drove it during high school. He had bought it as a theft recovery and completely rebuilt the car before giving it to his son for his birthday. The son chose this car over the many other classic mustangs the dad owned. So we were selling the car. Or the car was at our shop, and if anyone asked, it was for sale.

After spending a couple years in that state, the owner decided to go road racing with it. It was during this time that I was off at college. The original engine and interior were removed as the car was prepped. I made a phone call and arranged for all the pieces to be set in a corner for me to pick up when I was next in town. It took a few years, but I did acquire just about everything that was pulled from the car including the now disassembled motor, brakes, interior, ac mechanism, and whatever else ended up in the pile.

Years later, he tired of racing the SVO and decided to part with the car. The gauges, buckets, and drivetrain pieces were reused in other projects, and so the car sat at the shop again. Hearing about this, I bought the car. I always loved the car, and my plan was to put it back on the road with the 2.3t engine–which is included…needing a rebuild.

That was the plan. As it stands, I doubt I will be doing that in the near future. I’m in the middle of remodeling my house, and I started riding motorcycles again. All my spare cash is taken up by bikes and drywall, and I can’t justify getting into another project. So here we are. I hate to sell, but I hate more for it to waste away in my backyard. It was a fun car once upon a time.

Things it has:

Kenny Brown Suspension — upper and lower rear control arms, panhard bar, and matrix braces
Spare set of Pirelli P-Zero tires w/1 track weekend on them
Koni shocks all around
Cobra brakes all around
8/10pt rollcage
good body/paint
Cobra R wheels
Aluminum Griffin radiator
Aluminum fuel cell
Two battery master disconnects (one at rear and one by driver)
Adjustable wilwood proportioning valve mounted by driver
Title in my name
Good paint from 2003 or so — door numbers are decals
Engine is disassembled. The highlight here is the ported head. It all needs work, but it was a running motor before being set aside. I think most of the pieces are still kicking around.

Things it is missing:

Transmission is broken and will likely not yield many useful parts
basically everything in the dash/interior (not installed anyway)
The trunk floor pan. The original pan was cut out, and a fuel cell was installed in its place. It is kind of strange how they did it, but it is what it is. Put a new floor pan in it if you want to run the original tank (which is not included) or finish the trunk for the cell (which is included) again.

Things you will also get:

Everything I could scavenge as the car was being stripped when being turned into a race car will go with it. I think I have almost all of the pieces that were pulled from the car including a bunch of AC/Heater vents, original seats, instrument cluster, radio, and whatever else I could keep from way back when. The motor is in pieces and the trans might just as well be gone. It is in pieces, but that goes with it–in pieces. The original Hurst shifter is still there. I have the original wheels that will go with it too. If I remember correctly, they are not in ideal shape, but you can be the one to decide to throw them away if you want. Also have the original spindles, driveshaft, axles, and brakes in a (heavy) box. Spare set of Pirelli P-Zero tires with one track weekend on them--mentioned earlier.

All of my descriptions are as accurate as I can make them, but you are encouraged to come and take a look if you think you are interested. I’ll provide any info that might help you decide if it is the car for you.

So no one is surprised later on, the car has a reassigned VIN issued by the State of Texas. I’m assuming this is a result of the VIN tag on the dash going missing. The title is clear, matches the VIN, and in my name.

I’m not parting it. Once it is sold, I don’t care if it gets parted, but I’m not going to be the one to do it since I’ve tried so hard to keep it together this long.

See photos on my flickr or visit my website. Contact me through this site or the contact form on my site.

Admittedly, it is an odd car in that it isn't really the go to resto or the ready to run race car. I'm more than happy to consider an interesting trade. Have a Ducati, KTM, or other interesting bike?

BTW, the car is located in East Texas near Lufkin

• Sponsors (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.