Paint and Body 1985 gt vert

Hey guys just picked up an 85 vert gt and its my forst convertible amd 2nd foxbody.
Previous owner had the top replaced and im pretty sure they done a crap job.
I have to adjust the latches and thats the only info i can find on anything.
BUT i can fold the edge of the top above the doors up enough to look in and stick my fingers thru. How do i fix that?
And how do i know if its tight wnough? Winters coming so need a good seal. Granted pretty sure i need new weather stripping as well.
Im in eau claire wi if anyone happens to be local and sees this.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Of the issues?
89E9790B-8E1D-40FD-9ACA-59020E06BFA7.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
LOL. You are correct sir.
The latches need to be adjusted IF i can find an allen the correct size BUT the other issues are were the door glass seals and the top otself above that. I can fold the top and stick my hands in there. I see there is a cable attached to a spring but there is 0 tension on said cables or springs. The top is brand new, no clue who installed it either

There are cables ( one on each side ) that bolt the top firm above the door windows. They are screwed onto the frame behind the quarter windows. It's usually a spring on a screw that has cable attached. It runs from that frame ( you can see it from the back seat ) up through a channel in the top itself. The other end pokes through the windshield frame ( the end is covered by foam tape ). If you feel the outer edge of the top you should feel the cable.

Here's a pic...

This is from LMR

20181028_235142.jpg

your vert is just like mine and I'm going to be getting the top done after winter is over. I suspect doing this myself will probably result in similar headaches. I'll likely cough up the 2 grand at a local shop and be done with it.

I do tops in VA. Shouldn't be 2k....more around 1k for vinyl and to 1500 for canvas. For 2k it should have a moon roof. Lol

Prices vary state to state....and country to country :shrug: