1985 Mustang Performance Mods

ZachMorris

Jun 21, 2017
Good afternoon,

I'm looking at purchasing an 85 Mustang GT, it has low km's on 5.0 and transmission from an 88.

Everything is bone stock on this car and just looking for recommendation on first mods to get some nice performance.

Budget will be 2k

• Sponsors (?)

• Subframe connectors- MM full length
  • shocks/springs/bushings
  • brake upgrade- MM has a good kit for under $300
  • MGW or Pro 5.0 shifter
  • 130 amp 3g alternator
  • Cat back exhaust
  • 3.55 or 3.73 gears
  • tune up- filters, plug wires, plugs, etc.

that will get you to $2000 or so and be fun and safe to drive

The MM brake upgrade is for 1987-93 Mustang 5.0L, and only includes pads, shoes, lines, and sleevs, so everything else (spindles, rotors, calipers, bearings, and seals) from a 1987-93 Mustang 5.0L is needed.

Don't forget proper wiring for a high-output alternator. The factory wiring back to the battery isn't going to cut it and the plug/harness and external regulator need an adapter.

I personally would not bother putting gears in a 7.5" rear. I'd rather swap to an 8.8" rear and then do gears. The 1985 7.5" rear is a bit stronger that the 1984 and earlier units but no where near the strength of an 8.8"

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't spend a dime on brake parts until you've decided if you want to stay 4 or go 5 lug. Either way I would suggest a full disc setup with upgraded rotors and calipers up front- those 85 brakes are hot garbage.

Oh and I also support a swap to an 8.8" rear before you do gears.