Electrical 1986 GT TFI modules

Magnet86

5 Year Member
Jul 21, 2018
Hagerstown, MD
I recently relocated the TFI module using my last Motorcraft part. I used to have a small stash but recent overheating issues led to their use. I'd like to find one or two more if they are affordable. They seem to be expensive these days. What others brands seem to be similar in quality? And what about Ford number DU2Z-12A297-A? That's for a 2013 model, right? How will that work on my 86?
Thanks>

• Sponsors (?)

I recently relocated the TFI module using my last Motorcraft part. I used to have a small stash but recent overheating issues led to their use. I'd like to find one or two more if they are affordable. They seem to be expensive these days. What others brands seem to be similar in quality? And what about Ford number DU2Z-12A297-A? That's for a 2013 model, right? How will that work on my 86?...
None of these are OEM any more, all are made in China packaged in a Motorcraft box.
Ford dealers sell the same thing.

Amazon says DU2Z-12A297-A is compatible with my '88GT.
Good price, no pic. Should be the grey one.

Summit has that part number for $59.95
Comes in a Motorcraft box, part not labeled Motorcraft.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mof-dy1284

Last edited:
I've had bad luck with the new ones. The last new one lasted a couple weeks. Every time I go to the scrap yard, I pull off the old Motorcraft ones and test them on the car. Out of about 10, only got one bad one so far. Did a relocation and the old ones seem to be doing just fine now...and you can get them for next to nothing.

I kept the old ones that failed. Two did not shut off the car on me but after overheating the car ran rough. I tested them and only one circuit shows out of range. I forget which at the moment but I did write it down somewhere. Don't suppose they can be repaired? As for foreign junk- nope. Ain't buying it. I did have a BWD module once- it lasted until overheating. So that's three I cooked. They may run alright or so I hear after they cool down but not sure I want to try that. As for the used ones at a salvage yard- great idea. Might have to pull a few if I find them.

Extra: Two of the 'bad' ones have part number E6SF-12A297-A2A actually on them even though they came out of a Motorcraft box with E43Z-12A297-A on it. I would guess they are compatible as I had them on the car for a spell. Might they be different enough to contribute to my problem? I guess with the module relocated it won't overheat so we'll never know but just curious. I think there is also an E3 part number somewhere. I thought they might be specific for 8 cylinder cars as well as manual versus auto. If anyone has any insight, please post.
Thanks.

I rechecked two of the modules and one checks out good. The one on the car is a E6SF unit. I've red about the grey versus black modules. Also heard about potential differences for auto over manual. I'll try to stick with the E6 version. Now that one of my spares is good no hurry to purchase another unless the price is right. Thanks for the info.