1986 starter issue

scottwise

Feb 12, 2020
Maryland
Hello I have a 86 gt manual Trans I put a mini starter from aftermarket and a ford tech said to loop the wire on the solenoid.i did that and when I start the car the starter will stay engaged 2-3 seconds.do I need to do something to stop the issue as I have seen other sights say move starter wire to the opposite side on relay on fender

• Sponsors (?)

There are two possible ways to wire it and have it work correctly.

This is one:

This is the other (ignore the word GM, you also won't need to run a wire from "I" to your coil):

I've wired several vehicles the second way, including my current Mustang II and my old Chevy pickup. Either is completely fine, the first way uses the existing relay on the fender as a trigger device for the solenoid on the starter, while maintaining a direct battery connection to both the relay and the starter. The second way uses the fender-mounted solenoid as originally intended, without a direct connection between the battery and starter, with both the battery and solenoid trigger terminals being energized at the same time by the relay. I prefer the second way because it makes the starter more resistant to a no-start condition when heat soaked from header/exhaust heat.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Run power wire to starter on the same side as the battery cable on the solenoid. Run a wire from the opposite side post on solenoid to the small wire on the solenoid at the starter. The little slip on red / blue wire stays in the little post on the original solenoid.

Hello I have a 86 gt manual Trans I put a mini starter from aftermarket and a ford tech said to loop the wire on the solenoid.i did that and when I start the car the starter will stay engaged 2-3 seconds.do I need to do something to stop the issue as I have seen other sights say move starter wire to the opposite side on relay on fender

Here's how you do it...

Starter solenoid wiring for 86-91 Mustang
attachments\52294

Starter solenoid wiring 92-93 Mustang or earlier Mustang with upgraded high torque mini starter.
attachments\53216\

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Sweet baby Jesus.... I have two of the SVE starters here. Wired up correctly as confirmed by LMR. One only spins and wont engage. The other just makes the starter solenoid click. Put the old one (From 1986) in and it starts up. WTF.......only problem is that once the car heats up so does the starter and it wont start the car after that. Soooooooo aggrevating.