Electrical 1987 TAD solenoid source?

I have been chasing a code 81 and it looks like the TAD solenoid is not working. I am running cats, so I understand that this needs to be resolved. I used an 88 style TAD solenoid and a little jiggery pokery to see if the code would clear, and it does. Has anyone found a source for the 87 TAD solenoids? They are quite different than the available 88-93 solenoids.

• Sponsors (?)

Junkyard
Check the trucks and T birds too
They made about 2 or 3 different TAB and TAD solenoids over the years
I believe they were the same on all car lines at the time
If you had a part number you could check ebay for a new old stock one

I think I have a spare tab/tad setup in my junk er I mean parts box, I'll look tomorrow. Meanwhile post a pic of yours, I don't know what year mine are.
Here is the 87 TAD/TAB setup :
20220710_075051.jpg

You could just snip the plug ends off for the 88+ version and wire them into your car.

In fact, you might be able to de-pin the connector and just swap the pins from your setup into the newer style plug. The spade connectors look to be the same size.

Last edited:
You could just snip the plug ends off for the 88+ version and wire them into your car.

In fact, you might be able to de-pin the connector and just swap the pins from your setup into the newer style plug. The spade connectors look to be the same size.
I considered doing that, but the spade connectors on the 87 are much larger. The picture does not show that very well. It's more likely that I would do some sort of adapter pigtail to convert from one to the other and then use the 88 mounting plate.

I considered doing that, but the spade connectors on the 87 are much larger. The picture does not show that very well. It's more likely that I would do some sort of adapter pigtail to convert from one to the other and then use the 88 mounting plate.
Smp , Dorman etc sell pigtails for the later style valves along with aftermarket valves... If you want oem best bet is to hawk eBay and search 9d474 in titles and descriptions. Something like E6AE-9D474-A3A should work for you. Part numbers where pretty much the brackets, the two valves where pretty standard, just match the nipple count.

Reactions: 1 user
Smp , Dorman etc sell pigtails for the later style valves along with aftermarket valves... If you want oem best bet is to hawk eBay and search 9d474 in titles and descriptions. Something like E6AE-9D474-A3A should work for you. Part numbers where pretty much the brackets, the two valves where pretty standard, just match the nipple count.
Thanks for the part number. I found this part number and it "looks" correct.

e65e-9d474-a2a

Yes, no part numbers on the TAD. I did not remove the TAB. Found this on Ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/1834880894...d=link&campid=5335821607&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Looks correct. Will see what happens.
Surprised by that, most ford valves had the number cast into it. never paid much attention to smog junk on them. But there just basic valves you can replace with aftermarket from the likes of wells, tomco or standard. They have them with that connector just sideways vs upright.
Yes, no part numbers on the TAD. I did not remove the TAB. Found this on Ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/1834880894...d=link&campid=5335821607&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Looks correct. Will see what happens.
That would be correct for 86
Thanks for the part number. I found this part number and it "looks" correct.

e65e-9d474-a2a

Ouch. $80? This is why I saved that junk when I pulled it off the car.
Lol eBay where used crusty stuff is listed for more then dead stock nos parts.... e65e-9d474-xxx probably carried over to 87 but I have never owned an aero mustang older then 89 . Think my 88 t bird had the same part number on it, I always left them plugged in after removing the smog stuff honestly never had to replace one from a hard code. Ran cats for years without them or the pump before the did away with smog on pre 95 cars here, passing the sniffer and failing for dumb stuff like wiper blades all ways annoyed me lol.