Engine 1989 mustang gt wont start when reseting the key switch

Sdbolen11

Jan 20, 2019
Tazewell va
I have a 1989 mustang gt 5.0. When the car is cold it fires right up. While still cold you can cut the engine off with the key n it will start back no problem. When it gets warm if you kill the key switch n try to start it all it will do is crank. Getting fuel pressure and spark just won't fire. But if you dump the clutch to kill the engine without turning off the key switch it will start right back up no problem. Im so confused can someone plz help. I have replaced the distributor, tfi module, etc and cleaned the mass air. It only does it if you reset the key switch while warm

• Sponsors (?)

Ok thanks, I will try that tomorrow. It's crazy though because it won't die or anything. It runs great. But once u cut the key off n try to restart it, it just cranks. Has spark n fuel pressure. But if you kill the engine by dumping the clutch n restarting it without switching off the key it will start everytime...ahhhh I'm about to pull the rest of my hair out on this one

Couldn't find anything, but did figure out I can push the fuel at wot and it will fire up
Do you mean after you shut it down you hold the accelerator to the floor and it will crank right up ?
If so you are "clear starting" it by holding down the gas pedal you are cutting fuel to the injectors.
This would indicate possible injector/tune issues.

I'm unsure, I just got the car a few weeks ago, the guy said he didn't know if it had anything done to it. When I got it I test drive it n the timing was so far out the valves was clattering, finally got that lined out. How would I be able to tell if they are larger?