1990 Gt 5.0 5spd Want MORE POWER!

00-Saleen

Sep 2, 2004
Snohomish,WA
I just Recently Picked up a Red 1990 Gt 5.0 5spd With 106K Miles And the Following Modifications:

Recaro Trend w/Black Nardo cloth sport bucket seats
•Silver Cobra R 17x9’s w/Kumho Ecsta Supra 245/45ZR17 (purchased 3 months ago)
•Cervinis Saleen Spoiler & Cobra Rear Valance
Flowmaster American Thunder 2 ½” Cat-Back w/Straight Tips to fit Cobra bumper
•Maximum Motorsports Strut Tower Bar
•Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors
•Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
•Maximum Motorsports Aluminum Steering Rack bushings
•Maximum Motorsports Adj. clutch cable, aluminum quadrant, and firewall adjuster
•Ford Racing Performance Parts Front Control Arms w/polyurethane bushings
•Heavy Duty End-Link Kit
•Pro-5.0 Short Throw Shifter w/Steeda billet aluminum knob
•Taylor Aluminum Battery box/relocation kit w/Optima Red Top dry cell battery
Momo Steering Wheel
•Flaming River Hi-Performance Steering Shaft
•Tokico Premium Struts & Shocks
•Saleen Racecraft Progressive Rate Springs
•Ford Racing Performance Parts Aluminum Driveshaft
•Powerstop Slotted brake rotors
•Hawk HP pads & shoes
•Maximum Motorsports Stainless Steel Caliper Sleeves
•Stainless Steel braided brake lines
•Canton 7qt. Road Race oil Pan
•Black Magic Electric Fan kit
•Heavy Duty Radiator w/HD Hose Replacement Kit
•Flow Kooler Aluminum water pump w/185 degree thermostat
•Crane Fireball PS9 Ignition Coil
•Dyna Bat Ignition Module
•Auto Meter Phantom 2 5/8” Electric Gauges Center Mounted in Dash
- Water Temp
- Oil Temp
- Fuel Pressure
•Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
BBK Aluminum Underdrive Pulleys
•BBK Cold Air Induction Kit Fenderwell Mount
•Powermaster High Output Alternator – less than 6000 miles on it
•Pioneer MP3/WMA CD Receiver w/organic display (brand new)
•Boston Acoustic Front & Rear Speakers
•Alpine 360W Amplifier (brand new)
•Bazooka Tube 10” w/internal amplifier
•Clifford Alarm System (brand new)

I recently took it to the track and it ran a best of 14.65 @ 100.39 With a 60Ft time of only 2.312 due to lack of Traction. Anyways Im lookin to get Constint mid 13's With the stock Gears, and maybe street tires. Ive been looking into an edelbrock upper and lower RPM intake, and also litte stuff like Shorty Headers, h pipe, Throttle Body etc....Im not sure what i would need to run fuel wise if i was to do those mods, 24 injectors and a pro m 75mm Maf work? Im also wondering how much power i can get out of the stock Bottom end of the car...its my daily driver but id love to see 350rwhp and 350rwtq...

Just looking for opinions and suggestions

Thanx guys! :)

• Sponsors (?)

your mph is already good for a high 13 second pass. My car ran a 14.0 @ 97 when it was stock w/ a 1.7 60 so w/ an extra 3 mph and a decent 60 you'll be in the 13's. Some upper / lower control arms would be a start. IMO you can probably reach your goal of consistent mid/high 13 w/ some suspension. that mph is already pretty good.

With a set of DR's you already have the potential for high 13's possibly mid 13's.Get your 60ft times down to 1.8 or lower and your there!! A set of gears would give you a few more tenths..IMO mid 13's are already there,get traction and some more practice and your there!! A set of 355's would be nice and it wont affect your fuel mileage!!

I agree,and leave your factory headers on till you get over 270HP,believe or not there the best set-up for a stock motor.I wish I left mine on!!And leave the 19lbs injectors in,thats all you need rite now.If you wanna change anything on the exhaust go for an X-pipe and cat-back!!A 65mm TB is the perfect size for your motor,and a power-pipe!!

H/C/I combo - get ready to spend alot of money -

For your goal however, it doesnt take more power, like your thread title reads, it takes traction, due to your MPH - You need to plant the tires and your ET's will drop like crazy, more power AND traction will get you to LOW 13's, these cars have a ton of potential - my buddy did a ****LOAD of work to his 350 mone carlo w/ everything new and a 750 carb, and he ran a 13.8, i'll throw a set of heads cam and intake on my 5 speed and run a 12.8 w/ traction..... Your goal is a realistic goal - all you need to do is buy a pair of rims (just for the track) w/ Nittos or M/T's, (daily driving them is too costly, their about 150 a tire somewhere in that boat and only last about 10,000 miles if driven gingerly) - GOOD LUCK
Paul Perreca

ditch the stock headers and get long tubes w/off road h or x pipe, intake manifold and 70-75mm TB and you're there. Stock injectors are plenty too, but get a bigger fuel pump and AFPR to keep the flow and pressure up. Sounds like you got a good deal.

Well for now id like mid 13's. I never said i didnt want more after that lol. To sum it all up i just want more power, Without spending a ton of money. So sounds like I need an x-pipe, some drag radials, Throttle body, and a fuel pump. I already have a fpr. How far can i go with the stock 19's injectors?

What manifold do u guys recomend?

well the only power mods you have are exhaust, CAI and pullies pretty much
i say gears, would really wake that beast up. You could go 3.55s, will give a good jump in acceleration but still have some highway manners also...

00-Saleen said:
Well for now id like mid 13's. I never said i didnt want more after that lol. To sum it all up i just want more power, Without spending a ton of money. So sounds like I need an x-pipe, some drag radials, Throttle body, and a fuel pump. I already have a fpr. How far can i go with the stock 19's injectors?

What manifold do u guys recomend?
The gt-40 or the Cobra.19's are perfect till you start changing the heads and cam!A 70 or 75mm TB is an over kill for your current set up,a 65 is perfect!!

If he's only gettin 125 MPH in 4th gear.. then he's GOT gears... 3.55s or 3.73s depending on tire size. I'd say go with a Prochamber, catback of choice... Soem DR's, and you've got yourself an easy mid 13 second ride.

Tonight it ran a best of 14.624 at 96.79

I never Really Shift Passed 5200Rpm, and i cant get a great 60ft time due to now traction. Im gonna go with some Nittos and see what happens. If i change my throttle Body, due i need to do any Fuel modifications?

No you will not need a fuel upgrade for mods like exhaust/intake/tb, simple additions like that. Keep it simple an cheap...grab a set of GT40 iron heads, new or used can be had for well under 600-700 bucks. Port the GT's, thow in a TFS-1 cam and your making enough power to enjoy, but not so much thay you will HAVE to upgrade the supporting items like MAF and Injectors, Pump. Just a suggestion for ya, all depends on how far you want to go, how much power you want, and of course how much you want to spend.

Always plan for the future by getting stuff that you can grow into later so you dont have to upgrade again... i.e., get the bigger intake manifold, TB, LT headers, even injectors- that way in the future when you get a blower and/or a really good set of heads (TFS or AFR) you arent spending money twice for the same mods