Engine 1990 GT - Cobra Intake identification

• Sponsors (?)

1. If I were to go with 3.73's how would first gear be, and |I guess same question applies to 3.55's. I have heard some people say first gear is basically useless after the gear change, but I think that would be more for the 4.10's...

2. I suppose one other thing I will have to check is what gear is currently in there. As far as I know it is stock, but maybe it has been changed already at some point. Am I right that the way to do this is jack the back end up and rotate the tire one full turn and count the drive shaft rotations? That seems to be what I recall hearing.
1. 1st gear is useless with the stock T5
2. Factory rear was 2.73 with manual, 3.27 with auto.
See the chart here:
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-rear-differential-gears.html

“Back in the day”, a major car magazine did a performance comparison test on the Gt-40 style intakes. Cast or not, they were so similar in performance that the EGR style, or lack of it, was the only real concern when getting one. 15-20 hp/torque addition was what used to be quoted with stock heads. Then with the base ported by Tmoss, you will have the best street and a good strip intake for new heads for a lot less $$ than any new one. Check out Todd Moss’s site for info.
http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/
He has a very clear cobra intake shot here.
http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/Ford_GT40_Cobra_Explorer_Intake_Design_Observations.pdf
The link to the comparison article was on the old StangNet site, but I am having trouble pulling up many older posts.

Hi guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread but figured it would be better than remaking the same one. As with the first post, what do you think of this intake? I believe this time it may be an actual Cobra setup, but again the ad seems to get the years wrong by saying 1979-1993. I just wanted to make sure it is one and if I were to get it and put in on the stock 1990 engine I wouldn't run into any issues where I have things with nowhere to connect them. I also think the price is high based on the ranges given earlier. He is asking about $300 USD and they are a bit of a drive to get them too.

The other project should be done this month and then I can get back to the to-do list for this one, finally....

Attachments

• $_59 (1).JPG
    $_59 (1).JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 106
  • $_59 (2).JPG
    $_59 (2).JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 102
  • $_59 (4).JPG
    $_59 (4).JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 98
  • $_59 (5).JPG
    $_59 (5).JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 104
  • $_59.JPG
    $_59.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 90
That is a 1993 Cobra intake, but it's the china cast version that Ford sold from 2004ish to about 2014 or so. So while it is a Ford part, it's quality was never regarded as equal to the real intake some from 1993-2003.

$300 is about what it would sell for, with real Cobra intakes selling for almost $500 now.

It would bolt fine on your engine. I have a real 93 cobra intake on my '88.

A better deal however would be to buy an early 1996 explorer intake, which can be had for roughly $100

Thanks, that is about what the guy replied back with. I was just getting ready to post an update but you beat me to it. Maybe I will see if he is willing to sell it for less and see what happens.