Engine 1990 GT suddenly dies while driving

RedFox90

Apr 15, 2022
Clover, SC
I've recently ran into the problem of my 1990 foxbody dying while driving. It could be either in my neighborhood a few blocks from the house or the next time I take it out it won't die at all. It's very sporadic, but continuously happening. I've replaced the ignition switch and that didn't work. It doesn't seem fuel related as it just cuts off without any sputtering or anything like that. Once it dies I can turn the key back and crank it immediately again while coasting. It always starts right back up. I'm at a loss, as I've taken it to my mechanic and they can't figure out what's going on with it. They said they've checked the grounds and wiring and can't seem to find anything loose or out of the norm. I've read some posts it could be distributor, fuel pump, IAC,etc. I'm not sure if we've had other people with the same problems on here and diagnosed exactly the root cause with same issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

second on the TFI module, especially since it's intermittent. When you get a new one be sure to put thermal paste on the back where it meets the distributor so it won't over heat. Also the motorcraft units are the best, I had a cheapo part store one and it died in 2 years

Reactions: 1 user
second on the TFI module, especially since it's intermittent. When you get a new one be sure to put thermal paste on the back where it meets the distributor so it won't over heat. Also the motorcraft units are the best, I had a cheapo part store one and it died in 2 years
Thank you!
Sounds like the classic bad TFI module. You can test it yourself or take it to Autozone.
thanks!

I'm thinking that its more ignition switch issue related or a relay going fritzy..Sometimes they like to seperate into two halves and momentarily seperates when you hit a bump etc......

large.jpeg

While you’re at it, check the capacitors on the ECU board to see they’re leaking oil and corroding the board. Very common on these cars. It can cause intermittent problems at first but will eventually result in a no start condition.

Does the radio or blower motor for the A/C and heat quit at the same time?
If they do, the problem is in the ignition switch.

If not, the problem may be in the computer power relay or fuel pump relay.

TFI and PIP problems usually make you wait until they cool down before they will do a restart.