1990 LX

It's had a R134a conversion as well looking at the fittings. I bet it had a leak due to a failed front seal on the compressor.

Problem is you have no idea what oil is in there so really you are taking all that A/C stuff off, flushing it, replacing the orifice tube, adding the right oil and recharging.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Impala.jpg
Now thats a blast from the past... Shackles, M50 rear tires, and candy apple red flake paint..... LOL..... Need some bell bottoms......

Should have….but who knows what’s been done.

I know of folks in the past that just simply depressed the shraeder to let the last of the R12 out, and then shot the 134a straight into the system. No new oil, no pulling of a vacuum.

Did it work? Of course not. :)

• Sad
Looks like I’m going to see it today. Should be taking a look at it in about a couple of hours. Getting a list together of things to check. Any other tips on what I she be looking at let me know.

the seats and the fact that the foam on the ac hose is still intact are probably sogns it might actually be 22k. I know the foam on mine was dried out and breaking apart by 50-60k miles.

Are those tires original? Gator backs? Check the date codes.

I’d look for an original air filter in the box. The wires have been changed, but there might be a reason for that. When my fox sat 8 years, rodents ate the plug wires. That’s all they touched.

Underside might also show you if it’s low mileage. Is it original exhaust? Look at the amount of surface rust on things under there.

Brake pedal wear is another indicator.

I said it before, but those leather seats wear VERY easily. So those do look like low mileage seats.

I’d be curious to poke around a bit on this car for clues myself. Take lots of pics when you go
The foam can be replaced easily, ..... The faux leather seats last much longer then the tweed if not baking in the sun in my experience, I have a few factory 92-93 leather seats that look just as good with well over 100k on them. I had 93 opal leather seats out of a cobra in my red coupe with a custom rear made since 96 or so, they still look brand new.. Steering wheels where my real test but they can be cleaned up or replaced these days. I'd look for little trim stuff most over look like seat bolt covers, map pockets ect even the aod gas pedal since finding a cover for those skinny things won't be easy, brake and clutch covers are one of first things replace on ever one I buy..

It's had a R134a conversion as well looking at the fittings. I bet it had a leak due to a failed front seal on the compressor.

Problem is you have no idea what oil is in there so really you are taking all that A/C stuff off, flushing it, replacing the orifice tube, adding the right oil and recharging.
Good point, figure 1000-1200 bucks to repair (maybe a little on the high side) express your interest in keeping it original, they may give a little

Looks like I’m going to see it today. Should be taking a look at it in about a couple of hours. Getting a list together of things to check. Any other tips on what I she be looking at let me know.

If it’s truely a solid car that needs some elbow grease, it will likely go fast. So don’t take too long to decide. I bet regardless of the condition, it will sell within the first 3 folks to look at it.

The underside and the little trim pieces will likely be what makes or breaks it for me.

Well I went to go look at it. Wasn’t as good as I was hoping for. Biggest issue I had was a bad rust spot in the passenger side pillar where the door mounts to the body. I’m going through this repair with my own fox body so now how bad it is. The hatch had rust spots near the lower window trim. Pinch welds were bent. Some of the paint was faded. Exterior trim was pretty worn from the outside elements. Drivers seat was not as in good condition as I thought. Did have some tears. Map pockets were hanging some. Stock radio was replaced. It did have the stock cats but had welded in flow masters.

Some good stuff was that all vin tags were in place and matched. The doors opened and closed really good. Head and tail lights were OEM Ford. Everything appeared to work. Noticed it had the original radiator hoses with the date on it. All emissions stuff was still installed. Had the cargo cover and under the rear hatch carpet was extremely clean. Still had the original spare with jack in place.

It was a older lady and her daughter. The lady said her husband bought the car new from the dealership. He didn’t drive it much. He did the AOD to T5 swap himself and they still have the original AOD transmission in the garage. Neither her or her daughter know how to drive a manual car so it just sits there and they start it every so often.

I told them if it wasn’t for the bad rust spot I’d be real interested in purchasing it but knowing the amount of work it will take to repair it I have to pass on it. The daughter asked what would I pay for it in the current condition and I said maybe $5K at the most. She said $8K was her bottom dollar or she would keep it. I told her if it were mine I’d keep it especially since it belonged to her dad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure if it has 122K miles, I feel like it might be 22K but just wasn't taken as good as care of. The fact that the original radiator hose was still installed on the car and how nicely the doors opened and shut throws me for a loop. I've seen doors on a well cared 100k mile fox body and the door pins are already worn some. Once I saw that bad rust spot I kind of stop checking the car and just started talking with them about it.

The mother and daughter were very nice people. I gave them my honest opinion on the car and questioned the 22k miles but the mother said the miles are accurate. She said her husband hardly drove the car and how much he loved the car and blah blah blah. The car was passed down to the daughter and after debating for a few years on what to do with it she decided to try and sell it since they can't drive it. I told them to show it to as many people as they can and take the highest offer. Someone might not see that rust spot or think it's a big deal and will only be thinking about a low mileage fox body and still pay high dollar for it.

The fact that the original radiator hose was still installed on the car

Up until my engine rebuild/refresh last year, my car was still wearing the original dated radiator hose and clamps. It survived to 110K miles. I still have it on the wall.

I wouldn't dwell on it too much. Given the amount of rust, i would have moved on regardless.

I didn't take any pics of it, once I saw the rust I knew I was out. After dealing with the rust on my own fox body I never want to get into another one with rust again.

Neither her or her daughter know how to drive a manual car so it just sits there
After my divorce ( 39) I was surprised at how many women I met that could drive a stick.. MOST told me their dads made it the first car they learned on... Told me their Dads did not want them stuck somewhere... I think a "Caulk or Walk" situation......
My beater car was a Merkur XR4ti 5 speed stick... I let a couple of them borrow it when their cars were being worked on.... Pretty sure the turbo never cooled down after one of them had it for a day or so.........