1990 mustang gt no power?

ddt4436

Feb 17, 2009
I have a 1990 mustang gt all stock that I havent drove in a while. I went tto crank it up but no power was available, no dash lights, no fuel pump prime, no headlights. I even bought a new battery and still the same thing. Sometimes there is the faint sound of my door chime. Someone please help me!

• Sponsors (?)

cables

I had the same thing happen to me last spring.

Remove the battery cables and take a small wire wheel dremel bit and put it in a drill and really scuff up the inside of the battery cable hoops.

Huge difference.

Yesterday I replaced all the battery cables, ignition switch, key switch, battery still new and still no power omly the battery light comes on when I tuen the key. The fuel pump still doen't prime or headlights come come or anything else for that matter. I noticed the car had a wierd looking selonoid not usually seen on the foxes. Can the selonoid cause these symptoms?

After changing the battery wires, car will turn over but the starter is stuck and continously tries to crank the car until I disconnect the battery. It has a new solenoid as of yesterday. Can the starter be bad or a new faulty selonoid? Also I think this car has a mini starter but I'm mot sure.

yes it does, usually the nut holding the metal strap from the solenoid to the starter comes loose or the strap corrodes so check that first. on the pic on the right its the smaller cylinder with the copper strap going to the starter.
starter.jpg

The selonoid I bought 1 day ago was bad and was in the stuck position cuas the starter to try engage constantly. I put my old one back on and starter turned on and off with the key but then every thing got quite again.lol. Now there is power but no engagement from the starter and that d@mn fuel pump still isn't priming.

yes it does, usually the nut holding the metal strap from the solenoid to the starter comes loose or the strap corrodes so check that first. on the pic on the right its the smaller cylinder with the copper strap going to the starter.
starter.jpg

Hey Thanks! that picture helped me out alot and now I can see the diff in starters. I def have the smaller one on the right.

The selonoid I bought 1 day ago was bad and was in the stuck position cuas the starter to try engage constantly. I put my old one back on and starter turned on and off with the key but then every thing got quite again.lol. Now there is power but no engagement from the starter and that d@mn fuel pump still isn't priming.
this tells me that your solenoids are good, but you need to find out whats going on with the fuel pump. time to break out the handy dandy digital voltmeter and find out exactly where power is and where it isnt.

in the trunk on the drivers side right behind the taillamp. even more suspect would be a bad fuel pump relay. not sure where it is on the 90, but I am thinking its underneath the drivers seat.(it moved throughout the years)

if you havent done it yet go through Jrichkers Cranks no start checklist. it will seriously save you a metric butt ton of time and money.
Cranks OK, but No Start Checklist for Fuel Injected Mustangs - Mustang Forums at StangNet