Drivetrain 1990 Mustang Gt with sn95 bell starter problems

Foxstang31

Aug 11, 2015
Recently I changed my clutch out with LMR’s Ram HDX Clutch kit. I also swapped to a sn95 bellhousing I had around. I changed the clutch fork to the sn95 fork for proper clutch cable alignment. Also I have the stock Fox t5. I bought a sn95 starter from local parts store and have a horrible grinding issue when starting the car. Started it a couple times now the dang starter just spins... I put a washer behind the starter and it worked for maybe 2 starts now it’s doing the same thing.... any ideas? Do I need to go buy a Fox mini starter? Aren’t the sn95 and Fox mini starter’s the same?

• Sponsors (?)

I am by no means an expert with motors, but it seems to me that if the sn95 bell housing sits flush to the motor like the stock 1990 mustang bell housing does, there shouldn't be a problem with the distance that the starter sprocket moves outward on its own shaft to engage the flywheel. If however, the starter mounting holes on the sn95 bell housing are farther off to the side (moved farther from the centerline of the crank) then the teeth of the starter wont fully engage(only the tips of the gears will engage).
I'd check the distance from the centerline to the starter bolt holes of the bell housing and compare that distance to the stock 1990 bell housing.

my 2 cents.

Shouldn't be any difference in terms of starter, but I to would just find the correct fox bellhousing.

BTW, I didn't see any mention but did you swap the input shaft on the t5 as well?

Hey guys I ended up swapping bellhousing’s to stock. I had a sn95 mini starter on there and it would just spin and not engage the flywheel. I returned it to (oriellys) and got the stock 90 mustang starter and now it’s making a horrible grinding sound... any ideas??

What's your actual parts list for the components related to starter bellhousinh clutch etc right now? Try and list everything in the bellhousinh area
I bought a brand new ram hdx clutch kit off lmr, new flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate, new bellhousing spacer plate, pilot bearing, ect. Bought an original stock starter from oriellys... I’ve looked online and seen some people having the same problem. And fixed it with a mini starter for a 93 mustang