1991 LX Convertible - Fuel tank will not go back in

Blueinfan

Mar 18, 2021
Temecula
Hi Stang Community,

Well this weekend I decided to continue on my mods on my 1991 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible. I ordered a new fuel tank from LMR. Tank, fuel pump was upgraded to 255LPH, Fuel pump module, fuel level, Fuel Tank Harness, etc. Everything was going smoothly until we tried to install the tank back. Now for some reason the straps are not long enough. And also the fuel filler tube is not properly secure.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks!

Attachments

• Fuel tank.jpg
    Fuel tank.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 68
  • short.jpg
    short.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 55
  • old tank.jpg
    old tank.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 60
  • fuel filler.jpg
    fuel filler.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Sponsors (?)

WOW - Thank you! MAN, I tried it several times, and looked and measured the tank several times. I was like, WTF! Did the troll come out and move something. I fought it for 3 hours. I eventually gave up before i got pissed and broke something. These little things are something that LMR doesn't tell you.

Thank you!

I just ordered those Fuel Tank Strap Stud Kit.

Another question, do you know why the fuel filler tube is not secured? I didn't remove anything.

Attachments

• fuel filler.jpg
    fuel filler.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 67
This is a common issue with new tanks and the original straps the first time you do the install. Longer bolts and/or studs makes it easier.

The original bolts are M10 x 1.5 x35mm

The kit LMR sells is a Dorman 03131 Exhaust manifold kit. It works perfectly here. You can get it under $10 on Amazon w/ free shipping.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
hahahahah - Looks like that was cut out by the previous owner! - WOW!

Just add this to my list, I will have to fabricate something to properly secure it. Can believe why would anybody do something stupid like that.
First old car?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
First old car?
It sure is, I bought it for 2500 and have put about 8k into it already. I'm learning from it and enjoy it. But I should have ran a carfax on it, and looked at it more closely than i did.

As you know painting a car is not cheap. I've been quoted from 5k to 12k depending on the color and brand. I'm thinking about wrapping it and then saving to have it painted and then work on upgrading the engine.

However, the paint is burned so I have to sand it down.

Since you are just starting out, here's some advice. Look at the work as something you CAN do.... Not something you MUST do. Old cars are a hobby. I know from many frustrating times myself that when it becomes a have to it starts feeling like a burden. You did good to walk away for a bit. Perfect attitude and one that will serve you well if you can keep it...lol.
And..... Never think you are done. You will never be done. :D
Enjoy the car!

Reactions: 2 users
It sure is, I bought it for 2500 and have put about 8k into it already. I'm learning from it and enjoy it. But I should have ran a carfax on it, and looked at it more closely than i did.

As you know painting a car is not cheap. I've been quoted from 5k to 12k depending on the color and brand. I'm thinking about wrapping it and then saving to have it painted and then work on upgrading the engine.

However, the paint is burned so I have to sand it down.
I hope you enjoy every second of it. The one universal truth is that previous owners likely hacked up something. Once you get past the first few things, you're not as surprised anymore.

My personal favorite was a guy who found that a previous owner had fixed a rusting floorpan by gluing down an old stop sign with roofing tar.

The worst I personally had was the wire for an electric fuel pump being run through a nail hole in the trunk floor.

I had same problem, but able to do it like below and installed, it fit nicely:
1. I bought new rubber bottom cover from Ford dealer. delivered to home around $80.
2. Top of tank, pasted thin insulator pads from Summit Racing
3. Installed the Fuel neck including bolts ( 3 top, 4 bottoms) and secured it kept little loose)
4. Raised the tank insert fuel neck , push it from the drive side all the way, make sure all fuel lines and electrical wires are free)
5. Raised the driver side and install strap bolt it to half way, torqued the fuel neck bolts.
6. Install passenger side strap using longer bolt and kept pushing and aligning the tank to car floor.
7. Now tighten the driver side fully.
8. Now support the tank passenger side used 2x4 and pushed up 1/2 inch - I saw tank touched the car floor and flexed little bit
9. I removed the longer bolt and installed the original bolt and tighten it. I noticed tank moved a bit an set in place nicely.
10. Both bolts fit, fuel lines free. electrical wires free,

It took me three months to fix it.

• Surprised
  • Useful
When I did my fuel pump and sender it took a lot of muscle and alignment to get the tank back in, even without new pads... the filler neck to me was the worst part but I used a deadblow hammer to massage it back into the new grommet. It's not the worst nor the easiest job but I managed to get it done in about 8 hours... takes patience and some careful maneuvering... I can easily see with some new pads that a longer bolt would be very useful to get the straps back on.

Since you are just starting out, here's some advice. Look at the work as something you CAN do.... Not something you MUST do. Old cars are a hobby. I know from many frustrating times myself that when it becomes a have to it starts feeling like a burden. You did good to walk away for a bit. Perfect attitude and one that will serve you well if you can keep it...lol.
And..... Never think you are done. You will never be done. :D
Enjoy the car!
hhaha- I'm finding that out now as I work on the car. If it's not one thing it's another and another. It's like a huge money pit! As I mentioned in my previous post.
I already dumped about 10k already and am still not done. This is only cosmetic stuff. I still have the engine to work on. After everything is said and done, I might be looking at over 30k.

I feel like selling it for 8k - All new parts from LMR, Original parts from ebay, AM, and CJ.

I know I won't get that money back so I might as well keep it.

Reactions: 1 user