Digital Tuning 1992 5.0 stock except 3G alternator and exhaust.

1992Stocker

Feb 3, 2019
Florida
Car has around 160k original miles. Emission components removed. Starts every time and will idle for over an hour. Problem comes when you drive it. While cruising ignition shuts off no spark at all. If I punch the clutch in and try to restart it only turns over. It will restart if I push in the clutch, cycle the ignition switch off and then restart. Car will continue down the road and may or may not shut down again. I’m chasing down A ghost and have changed everything but TPS and MAP. Reman distributor swapped too. Checked wiring and all was good. Pulled ECM and opened it and saw the capacitors were bad so I sent it to “The EFI Guy” who replaced them for me $50.00 he did a great fast job. Car still shut off after driving for 5 minutes. Any help would be great. Timing is set at 10degrees and when the spout is put back in it does change the timing so it’s working. Ran codes and I get an 18 (Spout) Would the relay for the ECM cause this issue?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd take a look at the ignition switch under the dash, they are known to have issues, but instead of random parts replacement, time wasted and money spent I suggest the famous 'surging idle checklist', http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=698148
Start at the top and work it step by step.
Thanks to jrichker and others who contributed to the technical/how to threads.

Does the reman distributor have Ford electronic internals or is off-shore?
If guts are not Ford/Motorcraft (including shutter wheel) this could be
causing some issues.

Reactions: 1 user
All good suggestions, but to find the problem without try'n to get lucky you have to do the diagnostic work, the link in the previous posts are a diagnostic procedure to find and repair the problem.

Reactions: 1 user