1992 Clock Spring

FVBonura

Oct 7, 2010
Well I lost all cruse control and horn functions 36 hours ago. My airbag light has been flashing code 34 since August 2010.

Fee fy foe fumm, I smell my Clock Spring is totally done. :(

Well I know what the problem is but I can't find a replacement 92 Clock Spring anywhere.

The Ford part number is: F2ZZ 14a664 B

The question is can a clock spring from a different vehicle be modified to work in my application???

My other question is can the Clock Spring be opened and rebuilt???

Please help... :eek:

• Sponsors (?)

don't know about the rebuild or opened up - but I would think the clock spring from any 91 to 93 Mustang would be the same. I know of a few yards down here that should have them.

Update...

I have CJ Pony Parts digging for one now but I was just wondering if anyone re-pinned or re-wired one from a newer Mustang or Crown Vic or Ranger with any degree of success.

Any idea on a good price for a bone-yard piece? :)

Never priced one here - much less looked at one. I do know the local yard charged me 20 bucks for the computer - and like 10 bucks for a decent sized under dash wiring harness, so should be in that range.

Yeah I read that thread. I suspect I am going to have to get a newer clock spring and splice on the older plugs or re-pin the connectors.

I plan to pull out the old one and will attempt to open it. If I rebuild it and it works, I will post pics for the next poor soul. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I'll pull the negative and wait 5 mins till the airbag battery goes dead. I hate airbags, you have to treat the steering column like a bomb. Well it is after all. :D

UPDATE!!!

I have successfully swaped in a clockspring from a 1994 Mustang 3.8L into my 1992 2.3L, so far so good.

Give me a few days to test it out, If I am certain it works 100%, I will post how-to instructions for others with pictures.

I will say, this is not a project for novices. You will need your wiring diagrams and will need to solder, re-pin, and crimp some funky adapters but its far from impossible. The only mod I made to my '92 was a single hole to accommodate one of the mounting screws. I did not modify the wires of the '94 clock spring nor did I modify the wires of my '92. It was done with fabricated wire adapters.

Have hope my 1990-93 brothers, your stock horn and stock cruise-control buttons can be restored.

:flag::flag::flag:

I'm interested in this. I'm not currently having any issues, but I do own vehicles that are old enough that these parts are probably obsolete, nice to know if there are alternative ways of doing this.

Success!!!

I know I sound like a broken record but...

WARNING: :eek:
NEVER EVEN TOUCH THE AIRBAG SYSTEM UNLESS THE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED AND YOU HAVE WAITED 2 MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM TO DISCHARGE. FAILURE TO HEED THIS CAN CAUSE DEATH!!!

THE AIRBAG IS A CHEMICAL BOMB, RESPECT IT OR PAY THE PRICE!!!

Having said that, the project was a 100% success!!!

I posted the project on Facebook:

1992 to 1994 Clock Spring Conversion

Let me know if you can view it and let me know if I need to clarify anything. I will gladly walk anyone through the conversion process.

Reactions: 1 user