1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Restoration Project

ClayManLX

Sep 5, 2011
Connecticut
I Have a 1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 that needs a pretty good amount of work.. Not that much body work but a good paint job, Brakes, Interior & A new clutch. I will keep all of you posted about the project and I will also have some questions as the project persists. We are going to Sand, Prep & Paint the car back to it's original Factory Black color, with 4 - 5 shades of Clear Coat. So far the sanding is coming out pretty well, But there is more to be done in that stage before painting. Some area's tougher than others because I decided to put primer and black spray paint on some areas that had bondo on it.. having no idea that it would cause problems in the future. (First time doing ANY type of repairs to any car) But overall everything is falling into place nicely. As many of you know.. The original 1992 LX 5.0 Mustang has a rounded body kit.. Not like the Cleaner look of the 93 GT & Cobra ground effect's. After I paint the car. I will be replacing original ground effect's for the Cobra Style or GT Ground effect's.. Still undecided. Much more will be done to the car in the future. I will keep you posted.

At the bottom will be the the link to the website with all of the pictures I took of the Stang in it's current condition. Tell me what you guys think. Thanks for clicking the thread guy's!

NOTE: When the site is loaded up, Scroll all the way down with the scroll bar located by the pictures. Then start with that picture and work your way up.

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums

Project Start Date: September, 3rd 2011

Project End Date: ---

• Sponsors (?)

Looks interesting / good - I'm building a 93 coupe - and tearing it down and painting it etc etc ..new interior as well - at least your starting w/a V-8 car and a stick - I have a 4cyl auto coupe (pain in the ass) - I worked at a body shop years ago - if any of the panels need alot of bondo - your better off just getting a new panel or skin ....i.e. doors or fenders ....but it looks good - keep us posted ....:nice:

I wasn't aware that the 92 LX had a body kit. It has some trim, an aero nose and a spoiler thing on the back.

I stand corrected my friend.. Either way.. I would love to change the ground effect's of the LX To the GT or Cobra Style ground effect's. I just do not like the rounded look of the LX body style. The reason why I am so undecided about the body kits that I want to change them to is because the body kit of the 93 Cobra is different then the GT's. Just slightly.. Starting with the Front Bumper.. If you notice the grill insert of the GT, it has no ventilation hole leading to the radiator. It is just a hard surface with the Ford Logo on it. As for the Cobra Bumper.. it HAS a ventilation hole along with the chrome pony right in the center of it. (Love that look) That is the look I want for the front bumper. Love the fog lights as well.. Now with the side-skirts and rear bumper? The side-skirts of the GT have a little open slot on each side near the the end of them right near the back tire. Same slot right at the front of the front tire, Go here and you will see exaclty what i am talking about. http://www.blueovalindustries.com/m...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/x/ex7350-lhb.jpg For the rear bumper. The rear bumper drops more then the cobra bumper giving it a straight look unlike the cobra with a slanted up look. I basically want the front bumper of a cobra, But the side-skirts & rear bumper of a GT.. But the only thing stopping me from the GT side-skirts are where it says "MUSTANG GT" on them!! Any idea's?

Wouldn't you in essense be converting a LX into a GT? The body kit on the GT was the only difference. The rest of the car is the same. Are you saying that you have a problem with it saying GT there?

Yeah. I talked it over with my father today .. That is exactly what I am doing. Converting the LX to a GT. But now that I know that the LX and GT and practically the SAME. Then I do not have a problem having it say MUSTANG GT on the side-skirts an back bumper. Got pretty excited when I found out the difference was only the Ground effects, Interior & Rims. Only problem is now.. Where can I get my hands on a GT Body kit.. I cannot find them at ALL.

By the way. Thank you for being helpful on my situation. :)

Got pretty excited when I found out the difference was only the Ground effects, Interior & Rims.

Both cars use the same rims and interior too. There may have been slight interior differences in early 5.0s but the later ones were the same except for the paint and body kit. Ford was heavy into modular construction and to make different interiors just doesn't make sense in a low production run, cheap car.