1993 AOD HELP !!!!!

93 notch

Apr 15, 2004
Hastings, MICH
I'm almost done installing my new 3.73's in my 93 5.0 Notchback AOD, but have a question?? I have a new speedo gear from FORD and tried to install it(have done t-5's) in my aod but when I remove the speedo cable/speed sensor all that's there is a small removable shaft w/ what looks like a magnetic pickup on it. So I am assuming the tranny would have to come out to install the speedo gear? How hard is the gear to install? Are there any other options for correcting the speed ??? I've checked out the speedcal but they only list it for 94+ mustangs!! Is there anything else??

Thanks, Tim
:bang: :bang: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

there should be a small colored gear on the end of the speedo cable. What color is the one on there right now? What color gear did you get with your gears? I doubt you will be able to correct the speedo with those gears since they switched the drive gear inside the tailshaft after 90 I believe. We need the 7 tooth gear and we have the 8 tooth. It looks pretty hard to change that one. You'll probably need a white 23 tooth driven gear that goes on the end of the speedo cable to even get close.

The VSS is the sending unit that the speedo cable connects to. The VSS must be pulled out of the transmission after removing the clamp. The gear is on the end of the VSS shaft. The white 23 tooth gear won't get you very close and they wear real bad. I had a speedo shop install a gear reducer box and calibrate the speedo, it cost about $125 total.

Don