1994 Mustang GT Explorer GT40P Swap

Durham1995

Jan 31, 2022
Iowa
Hey guys I am new here. I used to post over on mustangforums but that one seems pretty dead. Little backstory on the car its a 1994 that used to be a V6 auto car however I have swapped in a GT40P Explorer motor with a T5 transmission. Car has the fox body throttle conversion on it with a 70MM accufab a matching MAF and 24lb injectors. The engine doesn’t have the provisions for EGR since it came out of a 99 Explorer however I picked up one of adapters to convince the car its EGR is still connected. However now its pulling a code saying the voltage for the EGR is too high. Is there any way to use something like a tweecer to tell the computer the EGR isn’t there an not to worry about it? I have done some research but haven’t been able to find an answer.

• Sponsors (?)

You could try Bama. American Muscle seems to carry their chips and they come with "free tunes for life" for whatever that is worth LOL. My brother used them years ago and had good luck with them.

If that egr simulator you have isn't working then you would need to have a tuner disable it for you. Most places if you just call and ask will say no so they can avoid being destroyed by the EPA :)

I would probably reseat that simulator plug and pull the battery cables for a little while to reset the ECU. It's worth a shot

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
You can disable EGR in the tune very easily. Cheapest way to do this is from moates.net - you'd need the Jaybird J3 programmer $75, and an F3 module (the 'chip' that plugs into the ECU) also $75. You can use TunerPro (free, donate if you like) to do the programming. You'd need to locate a binary for your ECU online, since this setup won't pull your tune from your ECU. Once you burn the chip you just plug it into your ECU.

Alternative is Moates Quarterhorse, still $249 it seems. That one takes the place of the hardware above and pulls the stock tune from your ECU as well. You can use TunerPro with the Quarterhorse as well, or you can pay about $100 for Binary Editor which is probably the best software to do the tuning. With the Quarterhorse and Binary Editor, you can hook up your laptop to the chip and datalog and get real running data just like a more modern car, but also write changes to the tune as if you had an HP Tuner (and license) on the modern car. Only downside about the Quarterhorse is that it has battery-powered memory. That'll last you 5-10 years but I eventually burned my final tune to the F3 chip (which is more like flash memory, and nearly identical to an SCT chip) and pulled out the Quarterhorse for use in other cars.

There are 'remote tuners' you can find on this site that can do the tuning (and probably a whole lot more than just disabling EGR - like getting that 'matched' MAF and injector slopes properly calibrated, maybe even giving you a bit more power) for you if that all sounds too complex. Tweecer's still out there and can do all the same, it's just a lot more expensive compared to Quarterhorse (especially if you want the version that datalogs and reads tunes like Quarterhorse does).

It's literally one value in the tune, Scalar EGR System Type to 2 to disable it. Please note that the above all assumes you have a Mustang ECU - if you don't (came from the Explorer) you'd need to make sure whatever you buy supports that ECU.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you this is really helpful. I have never done tuning before so all the help I can get the better. Monkeybutt I am using a 94/95 ECU. As of right now outside of the things listed above it is a stock Explorer engine. I haven’t done a cam or valves or anything else currently.

Thank you this is really helpful. I have never done tuning before so all the help I can get the better. Monkeybutt I am using a 94/95 ECU. As of right now outside of the things listed above it is a stock Explorer engine. I haven’t done a cam or valves or anything else currently.
You're gonna want too. The stock springs in Explorer heads won't even support a stock HO camshaft.

Reactions: 1 user
Monkeybutt yeah I know about the valve springs which is why I haven’t done anything with the cam yet. I wanted to make sure that everything was running good in the current setup before I started doing stuff like a bigger or different cam. I dont know if it would be smarter to do a cam and valve springs now before I worry about a tune or not.