1994 V6 rough idle after head rebuild

dodge55

Oct 11, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I parked my 94 V6 2+ years ago, because it had 2 blown head gaskets. I had other cars, so
no big rush. About 3 weeks ago, I got it all back together and it started, but it really
runs rough. It stalls if I take my foot off the gas. I got all types of advice to check
and replace parts, but no change at all. It smells of gas under the hood, and it acts like
it is either not getting enough gas or a vacuum leak. I have looked at the vacuum hoses several
times to make sure they were correct and I don't see any bad hoses or hear any leaks.

So, parts that I have changed (for the initial rebuild and trying to fix the rough idle) are
fuel injectors, spark plugs and wires, coil pack, EGR valve, idle control valve, and fuel filter.
The fuel pressure on the rail is 38-40 PSI. I checked the spark at a couple of plugs and it was
good. The heads were also rebuilt by a rebuilder in town. I also drained the gas tank and
replaced the gas.

One interesting tidbit. If the car is cold, it starts right up, but runs very rough. If and when
it stalls, it takes holding your foot down on the gas for about 5 seconds before it will start
again, but it will almost immediately stall. Only after you wait for 30 minutes or so will
it start right up again, but once again stall if you take your foot off the gas.

It's probably an easy fix, but has been frustrating to figure out. It ran great when it was
parked. Just overheated, because of the blown head gaskets.Anyone want to take a shot at this,
before I head to my mechanic?

Sutton

• Sponsors (?)