1995 GT Convertible = REGRET for my SWAP

wkualum

Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
New member guys. Thanks for having me. Bear with me on this...as I am having some serious regret.

Backstory - I have owned a 1994 manual V6 since May of 1995. I bought this car with 15,007 miles on it as a high school graduation present. Spent my life savings on it at that point. lol. It's been in my brother's barn since 2003. I couldn't afford a 5.0 but always told myself I would eventually do an engine swap.

Fast forward to present day - a couple months ago my brother bought a boat and my car needed to go. So....I have to get it next weekend. I was rushing to buy a running 5.0 so I could take both cars to someone who would do the job. Still taking reccomendations...near Flint MI btw. So tonight I go look at a 1995 GT convertible with 92,000 original miles. It was in a fender bender and the front quarter is messed up. It purrs like a kitten though. Sounds great. untouched - and no mods. It's an automatic though! I let myself get talked into an automatic!!! WHAT WAS I THINKING! ??????????

I am having some serious regret about 5 hours after paying the guy $2500 for this car. Someone please tell me it'll be ok and I should enjoy the benefits of an automatic ha ha

Attachments

• TANG1.jpg
    TANG1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 50
  • TANG2.jpg
    TANG2.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 54
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet!

So you have buyer's remorse.....

1661259351245.png

Sorry, couldn't resist! :lol:

I guess that will all depend on if you have room to park/store an extra car or 2 right now. I wouldn't see a problem as long as you have the space. Hell, if it were me, I'd just keep both. I'd then start on the GT since it's running, put a fender on it, and enjoy it for what it is. Then I'd go back to my original project and might just keep it as it was since I'd have a GT to go along with it.

Now, if you don't have the room, it sounds like you'll have to make a decision on what's more important.

Ultimately though, I don't know what anyone can say to help make anything any easier for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to Stangnet!

So you have buyer's remorse.....

1661259351245.png

Sorry, couldn't resist! :lol:

I guess that will all depend on if you have room to park/store an extra car or 2 right now. I wouldn't see a problem as long as you have the space. Hell, if it were me, I'd just keep both. I'd then start on the GT since it's running, put a fender on it, and enjoy it for what it is. Then I'd go back to my original project and might just keep it as it was since I'd have a GT to go along with it.

Now, if you don't have the room, it sounds like you'll have to make a decision on what's more important.

Ultimately though, I don't know what anyone can say to help make anything any easier for you.
Yes, buyer's remorse for sure. I wanted to keep my original mustang a manual. I just saw how nice the 5.0 was and running. I guess it's a $2500 mistake. lol. Maybe I can resell it and get my money.

Welcome to the forum !

Buyers remorse isn't really needed in this case. Swapping a 5 speed in isn't a really hard task. The v6 and 5.0 share the t5. The difference is the bell housing and peddle assembly. The 94- 95 peddle assemblies are still around and will work from a v6 or 5.0.

The parts from the donor car are valuable. The front brakes and spindles sell for about 200 dirty...and 400 cleaned up and painted nice with new rotors. The 8.8 disc brake rear from a 94-95 is worth about 400...a little more cleaned up. If you sell them with the wheels it'll get more money. Cleaned up we're talking about around $1200 for front spindles / brakes, rear / brakes, e brake handle / and brake cables, and wheels with rollable tires. If you have time to wait for the right buyer you might be able to squeak a couple more hundred out of them. Cheap pads and rotors from flea Bay go a long way for resale.

Interior parts have also seen a big jump in used prices but I'm not up to date on non- foxbody prices. Everyone that's going 5 lug needs the spindle and rear though and they are getting harder to find.

A good running 5.0 is worth between 600 and 1000 bucks. Not to mention all the other swap parts you acquired. Without the parts car you easily could've spent 4+ grand sourcing parts.

If you can find a mustang specific shop they might do the work for the donor / swap left over parts and a little cash.

Welcome to the forum !

Buyers remorse isn't really needed in this case. Swapping a 5 speed in isn't a really hard task. The v6 and 5.0 share the t5. The difference is the bell housing and peddle assembly. The 94- 95 peddle assemblies are still around and will work from a v6 or 5.0.

The parts from the donor car are valuable. The front brakes and spindles sell for about 200 dirty...and 400 cleaned up and painted nice with new rotors. The 8.8 disc brake rear from a 94-95 is worth about 400...a little more cleaned up. If you sell them with the wheels it'll get more money. Cleaned up we're talking about around $1200 for front spindles / brakes, rear / brakes, e brake handle / and brake cables, and wheels with rollable tires. If you have time to wait for the right buyer you might be able to squeak a couple more hundred out of them. Cheap pads and rotors from flea Bay go a long way for resale.

Interior parts have also seen a big jump in used prices but I'm not up to date on non- foxbody prices. Everyone that's going 5 lug needs the spindle and rear though and they are getting harder to find.

A good running 5.0 is worth between 600 and 1000 bucks. Not to mention all the other swap parts you acquired. Without the parts car you easily could've spent 4+ grand sourcing parts.

If you can find a mustang specific shop they might do the work for the donor / swap left over parts and a little cash.
90sickfox thanks for making me feel better. Do ya know of any shops in the Flint MI area?

That gt will give you everything you need cept flywheel/clutch stuff.
But that gt would be worth more running and driving than the V6 car, and the cost to have a shop swap what's needed would be a lot.

Will PCM need to be tuned? One shop is telling me to go with a stronger trans....and to go with a Tremec....that the T-5 is junk. And that AODE trans is a slushbox. I moved to Michigan recently and don't know anyone here....wish I could find someone locally who I could trust.

One thing that I think is universal is that shops are good at "recommending" something better than what you already have on hand.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I tried to change my 2008 v6 to a manual when the transmission went out, but apparently it's a huge job and you need a donor car for all the parts, etc. Every shop I asked said no and that it would be too expensive. You'll be ok, there's less chance of it being abused if the donor car is automatic I tend to think. I just imagine old manuals being driven around in 2nd or 3rd gear all day long. Despite what people think, driving an automatic car "good" can actually be more challenging. Requires mentally knowing what gear you're in and slam points. Drifting/sliding is more balls to the wall too and more of a rush with an all or nothing mentality. Anyone can drift a manual when you control what gear you're in. It takes real control and skills to do stunts in an automatic. Enjoy the challenge and learn new things. Most cars are automatic now and now you can transfer those skills to any automatic you drive. Since tech has advanced so much in the latest gen mustangs, I'm not sure I would still want a manual. I would have to check them both out, but thats a far ways off for me. Paddle shifter tech is improving each year (ferrari's and F1 cars use paddle shifters for a reason), and 10-speed auto transmissions make owning an auto sometimes beat performance of the current gen manuals. I heard some of the new manual transmissions are crap anyway and made in china. Plus if you have a girl you no longer have to hold onto that big dick in the middle full time. You're welcome.

Since your V6 is already a manual, you don't need to find or swap pedals, clutch cable, etc. You will need a 5.0 bellhousing from a 94/95 GT and flywheel/clutch. Your T5 is essentially the same as the 85-89 5.0 T5, not the strongest but definitely not garbage. I would swap the 8.8 from the GT as well. Your donor will have all the wiring and exhaust you need.

I would part out whats left and enjoy your ride.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Since your V6 is already a manual, you don't need to find or swap pedals, clutch cable, etc. You will need a 5.0 bellhousing from a 94/95 GT and flywheel/clutch. Your T5 is essentially the same as the 85-89 5.0 T5, not the strongest but definitely not garbage. I would swap the 8.8 from the GT as well. Your donor will have all the wiring and exhaust you need.

I would part out whats left and enjoy your ride.
Kruisr - Thanks for the input. It certainly makes me feel better. I'm torn right now. A friend of mine was quick to say he would buy the $2500 convertible and fix it for his wife/daughter to drive. With only 92,000 I feel like that motor has another solid 60-70K miles before it would need any major attention. I would hate to buy another donor with say 150-170K on the motor and drop it in my car and feel good about it. Still on the fence....decision decisions....

The other way you could swap would be use your V6 as the donor for whatever parts are need to make the GT a manual and get it complete again. Then sell whats left of the V6.