1995 Mustang GT cranks no start

NoRecoil

Dec 14, 2022
Wyoming
Hello Everyone!
I just recently bought a 1995 Mustang GT with the 5.0L 5speed. Car has about 150k miles on it and it's in a bit of rough shape.
I bought it non running as I want to bring it back to life and have a enjoyable summer vehicle.
My issue is the car will crank but will not start. The fuel tank is already off the car (bought it like that), so I am just using a little starting fluid when trying to make sure it'll fire. I used an inline spark tester and I am not getting a spark from the coil to the dizzy or from dizzy to spark plugs.
I have been doing as much research as I can and found a video showing I should be getting a CEL when the key is to the on position. I am not getting a CEL. I have checked the bulb to make sure it's not burnt out and it looks good. I have checked both EEC fuses on the car and they look good. PCM from the passenger side kick panel was already pulled out, so I unscrewed it and made sure there were no burn marks on the PCB. Any suggestions on what I should be looking into would be awesome! I don't want to waste money on parts that aren't going towards getting the car to start as of now.
Thanks,
Colt

Attachments

• 20221205_140708.jpg
    20221205_140708.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Snapchat-1769046538.jpg
    Snapchat-1769046538.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Sponsors (?)

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like the EEC is not energizing.
3 things to check for that are the fuses, EEC relay, or possibly the ignition switch.

Verify if the EEC is getting power with a DVM either at the EEC itself or by checking for vref at one of the sensors/ injectors at key on.

Additional info for a crank no start:
- verify CEL illuminates at key on (power to the EEC)
- verify CEL goes out during cranking (PIP signal being received)
- verify ability to pull OBD1 fault codes (no burned ground trace inside EEC)
- battery voltage at minimum 10v while cranking
- fuel pressure at 39 psi while cranking

Beyond this will be your standard troubleshooting

It sounds like the EEC is not energizing.
3 things to check for that are the fuses, EEC relay, or possibly the ignition switch.

Verify if the EEC is getting power with a DVM either at the EEC itself or by checking for vref at one of the sensors/ injectors at key on.

Additional info for a crank no start:
- verify CEL illuminates at key on (power to the EEC)
- verify CEL goes out during cranking (PIP signal being received)
- verify ability to pull OBD1 fault codes (no burned ground trace inside EEC)
- battery voltage at minimum 10v while cranking
- fuel pressure at 39 psi while cranking

Beyond this will be your standard troubleshooting
Thanks for the info!

I am not getting CEL during key on
- Brand new battery is in the car
- trying to get the car to fire at least once on starting fluid since fuel tank & pump were already removed when I bought it

Is it possible I would need to replace the PCM? I did look at the motherboard on it and I don't see any burns but from what I've found it could be an issue right?

Thank you,
Colt

What else is missing besides the fuel tank?
Wiring in the engine compartment intact?
To my best knowledge its just that. Everything thing else is on the car (that it would need to run)
First, You have to verify whether or not the EEC is getting power at key on.

Don’t jump around to conclusions.
It’s a process.
Fair enough! Where exactly would I need to check with a DVM? I know a decent amount but am pretty new to working on these cars!

Thank you for the help!

To my best knowledge its just that. Everything thing else is on the car (that it would need to run)

Fair enough! Where exactly would I need to check with a DVM? I know a decent amount but am pretty new to working on these cars!

Thank you for the help!
With key on;
At the EEC relay for 12v input & output

At the EEC itself, the RED wire on the 102 pin connector. (12v)

Any injector, one wire is positive and the other is ground.

Any EEC sensor for the 5v vref, such as the TPS, EGR

You're probably going to waste a lot of time flailing your arms and firing the parts cannon (hint, it's rarely if ever the PCM, and this car is not OBD2). Do yourself (and us) a favor and complete the checklist that was provided to you and ask questions from there.

Reactions: 1 users