1996 GT (automatic) question

gcfreak898

Oct 31, 2008
Ft.Bliss, TX
I recently have thought about doing a big upgrade once the engine and transmission has had it. Currently I have 85,000 miles on my mustang and I don't know how much life it has left. Regular maintence is always done and it runs good. Once the engine and transmission has had it I was wondering can I fit a 1996 Cobra engine and transmission in my GT? What all parts would I have to get in order to do that upgrade?:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

You would need
1) the donor engine
2) donor transmission
3) driveshaft to match trans
4) not sure about this one - but possibly larger radiator
5) engine mounts (maybe new K-member?)
6) a ton of computer work/wiring

For the cost of all of this - you could have your transmissions rebuilt and have a supercharger put on. I looked at a 4v swap and the costs, once put down on paper for parts AND labor, are unreal.

I recently have thought about doing a big upgrade once the engine and transmission has had it. Currently I have 85,000 miles on my mustang and I don't know how much life it has left. Regular maintence is always done and it runs good. Once the engine and transmission has had it I was wondering can I fit a 1996 Cobra engine and transmission in my GT? What all parts would I have to get in order to do that upgrade?:SNSign:

I had a mystic 96 cobra a few years ago & curently own a 96 gt. I installed a 2001 gt engine in my car with a few mods. With almost the same mods & gears there wasn't enough power difference to go thru all the trouble of swapping form 2v to 4v. This was naturally aspirated only.

I've got a small trans cooler that I put on when I did my nitrous install. It's a little smaller than the size of a sheet of paper. I believe the brand was Moroso, but I'm probably wrong. What is a good size cooler, or good brand? I definitely want to get another 80k out of my trans.