1996 gt engine build

Adizzle843

Mar 22, 2020
South Carolina
I’ve been looking at threads here for a while. I’m new to the 4.6 i bought a running 1996 from the middle of nowhere SC. So I got the motor pulled and it’s a F4VE stamped block. I want to do a rotating assembly (along with other things like PI heads). That’s out of an early 90’s crown Vic. Are the engine internals the same?

• Sponsors (?)

Are the engine internals the same
No. A 1995 and older modular is not the same as a 1996+..

IMO you would be so much better served to buy a whole salvage yard motor from a 2003+ Panther(Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car). Have you searched on car-part.com to see some sample prices in your area? I suspect that you can get a whole motor for less than the cost of the parts you are planning to put into the rebuilt motor.

Last edited:
I found some on car-part.com. Might sound like a silly question, but is there more required for the swap than just the engine? Harness the same? Also, the ones I found have a ton of miles so I’d want to probably go through them. Not a big deal but it comes back to finding internal parts. Is a 2003+ 4.6 internals the same across the whole platform? What I’m asking is, will a 2003 crown Vic engine use the same internals as a mustang? I’m only wondering because if I have to rebuild it, I don’t know if there is a huge aftermarket following for a crown Vic for forged internals and such, if that makes sense.

but is there more required for the swap than just the engine? Harness the same?
Of course there's more required. What makes the swap work is making to donor motor look the SAME electrically as the original. Sooooooo that means there are key parts to swap and/or retain from the original. Basically place both motors on an engine stand. Make the donor look like the original.

Not a big deal but it comes back to finding internal parts. Is a 2003+ 4.6 internals the same across the whole platform? What I’m asking is, will a 2003 crown Vic engine use the same internals as a mustang? I’m only wondering because if I have to rebuild it, I don’t know if there is a huge aftermarket following for a crown Vic for forged internals and such, if that makes sense.
NOTE, a 2001-2004 Mustang GT does NOT have forged internals! Yes the long block of a Romeo iron block SOHC Mustang is the SAME as the SOHC Panther application.

If your goal is to have a stronger motor with upgraded internals this is not was asked for. This changes the project parameters.

Note. Look through my past posts. I have a 2000 Mustang GT. I have done the Windsor to Romeo swap using the motor that came from a 2003 Grand Marquis.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user