1996 Mustang 3.8 V6 EVAP Canister

GregB1970

Nov 9, 2018
I recently had to replace my evap solenoid due to P1443 Code. It code came back so I replaced vac line before and the harder one going to the canister, my question is this. I can't seem to find anything online about one of the 2 3/4" vac lines attached to the canister one of the goes back to the gas tank the other one goes towards the front of the car and at some point someone capped it off with a bolt. Does that line go to anything or is it just a vent line out to the atmosphere. On my mustang the evap canister is nicely tucked inside the front right fender not at the back like most other years did.

• Sponsors (?)

For the 1996-1998 model year a frequent problem source is a failed purge flow senor (PF). Gas vapors are hard on rubber parts. The part is cheap enough and fails at such a high rate that it's cost effective to replace for pure diagnostic purposes.

It's very easy to perform a functional test of the purge solenoid. You should not be able to blow through it with no power applied. You should be able to blow through it with power applied.

If this were my car I would compare the vapor lines to a similar model year. The capped line doesn't sound right.

P1443 - Very Small Or No Purge Flow Condition

A fuel tank pressure change greater than a minus (-) 7 inches of H 2 O in 30 seconds has occurred with purge (fuel vapor) flow less than 0.02 pounds per minute.

• Blocked fuel vapor hose between EVAP canister purge valve and FTP sensor.
  • Blocked fuel vapor hose between EVAP canister purge valve and engine intake manifold.
  • Blocked vacuum hose between EVAP canister purge valve-solenoid and engine intake manifold.
  • EVAP canister purge valve stuck closed (mechanically).

Check for blockages between the fuel tank, EVAP canister purge valve and engine intake manifold. Check obstructions in the EVAP canister purge valve diaphragm and ports.

I have taken care of everything you listed, vac lines before solenoid and to the EVAP canister, and so far code hasn't come back yet. What I am trying to figure out is the two larger vac lines on the EVAP canister one goes back to the gas tank and hose is good and routed right but the second larger vac line that feeds towards the front of the car was capped with a bolt. Does that line actually connect to something or does it just vent out to into the air?