Suspension 1997 Cobra Front Lca Removal Problems

1987Rock

May 2, 2007
My buddy has a 1997 Cobra we're trying to put new front LCAs on cuz the stockers are shot. We got the driver's side disassembled and are down to just taking the bolts out. The rear bolt was easy once we took out the subframe bolt but the front WILL NOT come out.

It's hitting the end of the steering rack, right at were the boot clamps onto the rack. I tried prying the LCA up from the back to rotate it and that didn't work. My dad swears "all I have to do" is loosen the motor mounts and jack up the motor and I don't wanna do that. NOBODY mentions that in their threads about LCA replacement. All I ever see is "take out the LCA bolts" and "it's easy" or write-ups on how to replace the bushings but they don't actually go into detail on LCA removal. Nobody seems to be having this issue that I can find View attachment 128059

Has anybody had a clearance issue like this? Any tips/tricks? They would be GREATLY appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

You said it yourself, the steering rack is in the way. Loosen/remove the steering rack up and you should it'll slide right out. I disassembled a set earlier this year and that's all it takes.

Got it done today! Had to unbolt the rack and pry it forward and up, didn't have to totally remove it. Was a PITA tho, we put the bolts in the opposite way so if we have to do it again it'll be easy.