1997 Gt Electrical/tranny Problems

Bill Schippert

Jan 25, 2018
Ok. I bought a 1997 gt automatic. Had the car a month then one day it wouldn't turn over. After a few tries she fired up. I drove her 30 miles and noticed aod light flashing. So I stopped obviously to check tranny fluid. It was fine. Went to start back up and again it wouldn't turn over. I used my phone and trouble shooter. Its proofing out so no trouble with PATS. Finally I just jumped her at starter. Now the damn thing won't shift past 2nd. Not the end of the world because she was gonna get a
stage2 tranny but I'm not spending a penny till I figure out what I'm dealing with. Where would I start?

• Sponsors (?)

Giving the problems you are having with the transmission my vote is the automatic transmission DTR range shifter is out of adjustment. Such that when the gear shift level says "park" the DTR on the transmission is not actually in park.

If the problem is the neutral safety circuit (NSS) then jumping the R/LB and W/PK wire on the DTR connector should allow the starter motor to engage. Be careful to set the parking brake and block the wheels just in case the car were to move.

Another way to test the NSS circuit is to pull the starter relay from the engine bay. Using a test light or VOM test for +12 volts at W/PK (pin #85) with the key in the "crank" position.

Giving the problems you are having with the transmission my vote is the automatic transmission DTR range shifter is out of adjustment. Such that when the gear shift level says "park" the DTR on the transmission is not actually in park.

If the problem is the neutral safety circuit (NSS) then jumping the R/LB and W/PK wire on the DTR connector should allow the starter motor to engage. Be careful to set the parking brake and block the wheels just in case the car were to move.

Another way to test the NSS circuit is to pull the starter relay from the engine bay. Using a test light or VOM test for +12 volts at W/PK (pin #85) with the key in the "crank" position.
Ok I'll try the new circuit. That might help with starting it but what about it not shifting past 2nd?