1998 GT VS 2003-2004 GT

spitfirees20

Nov 17, 2006
Well I wanted the chance to go toe-to-toe with a nearly stockish new edge stang, and last night I got my chance. Just in case you need to know, I live/work in mexico, so all of the driving was done there, and every single street in the section I live in is a clear, racing sanctioned quarter mile with a light tree and a win light. So here's what happend: on my way to work, I noticed an odd pair of headlights behind me. Knew it was a ford, suspected a cop, but I had a grand marquis and I knew it wasn't one. We turn a right and get onto a two lane road, and we both catch a light. Not even thinking, I just take a quick glance, and there it was: a new edge stang. From what I heard/saw/noticed, he had a 5 speed, an exhaust (not sure what it consisted of), rims, and big tires out back (bigger than mine, so I'm assuming 315s). I knew that he wasn't going to take it easy, so when the light went down, it was on. We both spun a little tire, but surprisingly I got the jump on him, by about a car. By the end, we went up to about 90, I was a car and a half ahead of him. I slowed down and he came on the side, and gave me the thumbs up, which I gave back. We caught another light and I commented on how nice his exhaust sounded, and we both went our separate ways. I was surprised and happy at how the outcome was. The only mods I have are k&n cone filter, mac o/r h, flowmaster weld-ins, 3.73's, and a p.i. intake, and I have an auto too.

Sparknotes: npi beats pi gt, keep your head up npi guys, we have hope yet; new edge guys, don't underestimate the npi guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Good kill! The only thing I can say though, is that he must have been terrible at driving a stick, or you have one hell of a factory freak. Maybe he had nitrous that was hooked up wrong, and instead of purging outside and spraying nitrous in, he had it backwards, and it happened to be aiming right at your cone filter. :D

It wasn't a factory freak scenario.

Just a case of a driver that doesn't know where to shift or how quick to shift, or both...

Good race...

yea i gotta agree here. I have raced my buddies 98 GT with about the same mods as you and it was kinda a joke for me. lol he had it floored in 2nd with me pacing beside him in second i was waiting for him to hit it but little did i know he already had it floored so then i hit it when i heard his car around id say 3500 and jumped right past him lol. those NPIs can be fast once u get the PI stuff on them lol. but without that stuff its pretty tough to make them fast.

good race none the less:nice:

meh, i believe it. Not every stang owner is the best driver, lol - believe me. W/ the new tranny against a 5-speed the stang owners (rather stock new edge proly, lol) got to be at his best shifting to keep up. I've seen many a 99+ mustang run mid 14's and even 15's - it's not like it unfathomable to see a slow guy in a fast car lose to a semi-fast car :rlaugh:

its true guys! lol I'm not going to say my old NPI motor/setup was faster than every PI GT out there because I am now PI and I know thats not the case.

I had a PI intake manifold, 4.10's, and intake and o/r H pipe and could beat a good number of PI GT's at the track. my best NPI was a 14.3. I raced my friends 00 vert with 3.55's and was dead even with him, almost every race. Sometimes I would barely beat him.

But a friend of mine at the track with his lightly modded GT (intake and predator) ran a 14.1.

Alot of it is the driver I will say. But if the better driver is in the NPI I'd say we have a chance. Unless you have 2.73's lol

Nope, no 2.73's here! The only complaint I really have with the car right now is not the lack of power, it's the lack of control of the transmission. Hopefully by the end of this winter I'll have a b&m hammer shifter, lentech valve body, and a trasmission cooler, and that will be the end of that.

My PI swap yeilded stronger gains near the 5k range. 'Felt' the same up until that part...

The PI swap is overrated...but it does add power none-the-less...

I have beat a couple zo6's, but does that mean my car is faster;)

I beat an 06 GT auto prett easy. Only mods it had was flowmaster exhaust. I have a 96gt npi. I have 4.10's, King Cobra Clutch, fenderwall intake, offroad X-pipe, catback, plugs and wires, lowered, 285's in the back, shorty shifter, maybe a few things im missing, but I walked on that car pretty easily:shrug:

I beat an 06 GT auto prett easy. Only mods it had was flowmaster exhaust. I have a 96gt npi. I have 4.10's, King Cobra Clutch, fenderwall intake, offroad X-pipe, catback, plugs and wires, lowered, 285's in the back, shorty shifter, maybe a few things im missing, but I walked on that car pretty easily:shrug:

Really? Even auto, I thought those cars should absolutely destroy our cars... maybe I'm wrong. Are you sure it was a v8?